Refinishing a bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Sterling_Bass, Jan 8, 2006.

1. I have the oppurtunity to buy a Squier for ten dollars off one of my friends and after reading this part of TB for months, I have a huge interest in the construction of a bass. Now I know this wouldnt be considered building a bass, but I dont have the skill, time, or resources to do so. I think it would be a nice start in this field to take apart the bass, strip the painting, and maybe refinish it with a clear coat to see the grain if it is at all possible.
    My question to all of you here is finding out if this is worth it. I have my own 4 string bass and I'm satisified with it, but towards the end of summer I will be looking to purchase a 6 string. I would really like to take apart this bass and then try to put it back together and maybe put in new pickups. I can buy Quarter pounders from another friend for $20, brand new and in the box. I believe the electronics in this bass do not work at all and would like to know if it would be a difficult task to fix with no prior knowledge.
    So, does anyone else think this would be a good start to fixing up a bass? Would anyone consider it worth it, or am I just wasting my time and money?
    Thanks to all who offer their opinion.
  2. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Sounds great to me. If you only invest $30.00 into the parts, you can't lose. You say you don't have the skill, but you're interested. I say jump on it. If things don't work out for you with the project, you can always sell the pickups later and get back more than you put into the whole project :D
  3. What would I need to start this project? I know I'd need various sandpapers, and some sort of sealer. How much would all this run me? Also, maybe I should consider defretting the bass. Id need to epoxy the board and fill in the fret slots. Would it be possible to spend less then $75 for everything?
    Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, but this really interests me.
  4. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    I defretted my bass with a grand expenditure of $0. Sure, it wasn't exactly an orthodox way of doing it, but it sure still plays nice. I had sandpaper, woodfiller, and poly-u lying around the house, so I didn't really have to spend a dime. If I wanted professional looks, I probably would've bought some sort of veneer to fill the slots with instead of woodfiller, and maybe I'd buy some epoxy instead, but that's about it. Oh...and a radiusing block would be handy, but not really required as long as you're not planning on changing the radius. I just used a flat sanding block and did my best to sand evenly along the entire fingerboard.

I don't know much about refinishing, but I guess it's probably just about the same principle; sand down and finish it up.

I say go for this project. I wish I had (another) bass that i could take a part and customize, but I'm saving my money for a build from scratch this spring. Good luck!

5. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    I refinished a suier not to long ago, it came out real nice. I took a small palm sander sanded it down smooth, then stained it with minwax stain, then spayed a clear coat and it was done.
  6. Do you happen to have any pictures of the finished result? Id be really nice to see how it came out.