refinishing a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peaveyguy, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Peaveyguy

Peaveyguy

Jan 19, 2009
    I am about to trade some old guitar gear for a btb series bass. Its in great shape and plays real good gonna be my first 5 string so I'm excited. But its purple and I'm not crazy about it. My plans are to break it down as far as I can removing the bridge assembly/assemblies the knobs tuners pickups and such. I have built guitars in the past and I have applied oil stains so I'm not too scared but I'd like some suggestions or tips from pros. I have used oil stains from lowes with some success in the past and that's what ill use again. I want to achieve a natural flat finish or maybe I will stain it a couple shades darker but still natural looking. Well let's see what you got :oops:)

2. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Cornell , IL.
    I used stain for the black after sandblasting, sanded down enough to expose the grain then stained red. The sandblasting kind of pitted everything instead of digging out the grain like I wanted but this is the result.
    If you're going 'a la naturale' I'd go with tung oil finish.

3. Peaveyguy

Peaveyguy

Jan 19, 2009
    Do you know where to buy high quality wood oils like this tung oil you speak of?

4. Trapeze Fan

Trapeze Fan

Mar 18, 2008
    San Antonio
    Most hobby supply stores have high quality tung oils. Anywhere you can buy furniture refinishing supplies should also have high quality tung oil. If you don't mind paying a premium price for a guaranteed high quality product, I know for a fact that The Guitar ReRanch in Garland, Tx., has every guitar stain, oil and paint known to man. Their phone number is (972) 495-2074. They have a website too, which you find by just doing a Google search. I buy nitrocellulose lacquers from them. If you order online, you generally receive your order in 2 days! They can also provide detailed suggestions and guidance about what you should do!!!!!

5. Peaveyguy

Peaveyguy

Jan 19, 2009
    Wow thanks trapeze fan. Nitrocell is my favorite finish but pricey and I don't have proper ways to apply it. Although I haven't made up my mind if its a clever marketing ploy or if actually works the way +n theory it should but I like to think it does.

6. Trapeze Fan

Trapeze Fan

Mar 18, 2008
    San Antonio
    You're welcome. There are a million threads here debating whether basses need to breathe, whether nitro allows them to breathe, whether dense finishes diminish resonance and affect the sonic qualities of wood and basses. I don't know. All I can tell you is that when I have a little ding in a Custom Shop or Masterbuilt bass I've paid thousands and thousands of dollars for and it's finished in nitro, then that's what I'm sticking with. I've also owned oiled Surines and Alembics. I just flat can't tell the difference sound-wise. I can tell you that The Guitar ReRanch is an extremely reputable vendor to do business with and they have an enormous amount of knowledge and wisdom available to you. I'm a lawyer. I just play around as a hobby. I'm in San Antonio and have no connection to them. I just judge them on their performance and I've always been happy!

7. Peaveyguy

Peaveyguy

Jan 19, 2009
    Well I am stripping her down now I'm using a chemical stripeaze type paint remover but it really doesn't seem to have any balls. After 2 thick coats it looks like it did when I started. I might have to break out my palm sander.

8. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Get a small can of Aircraft stripper, break the finish open with a course paper(40 grit works well for this) give it a good deep scratch. Apply the stripper with a rag wiping in one direction ONLY(don't ask me why this works better than smearing it around but after stripping hundreds of car finishes it work better). Cover it with a plastic trash bag and leave it for about 15 to 20 mins. Pull the plastic and scrape off the wrinkled paint. Be sure to wear heavey rubber gloves and eye protection(I've gotten an eyefull of that stuff more than once, it aint pretty). you may have to repeat this process a few times, nuetralize the stripper with lacquer thinner or water and wet down the inside of the bag with the waste and leave it outside until trash day(this stuff will combust on it's own so don,t burn the house down). Block sand the body from 180 down to 320. For finishing,Krylon is your friend(white primer, lots of colors, Ballet slipper(shell Pink) Peek a Boo Blue(close to Daphne) and a red that is close to Dalkta Red. Clear coat cut and Polish. I've had very good results and at $2.99 a can you can get it done cheap.

9. Peaveyguy

Peaveyguy

Jan 19, 2009
    before
    guitarandstuff040.gif
    guitarandstuff039.gif
    guitarandstuff041.gif

after with hand rubbed oil finish :0) im a sucker for natural wood

guitarandstuff043.gif
    guitarandstuff044.gif
    guitarandstuff045.gif

10. Peaveyguy

Peaveyguy

Jan 19, 2009
    yes i am also a proud owner of an avatar cab. its a guitar cab though.

11. Peaveyguy

Peaveyguy

Jan 19, 2009
    c'mon guys gimmie some opinions. 173 views no comments since i uploaded pics. is it ugly? lol i like it alot

12. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    The top looks a bit brighter but I would have sprayed a clear coat to get the quilt to pop. Like this,

13. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Peavey guy
    It looks awesome.
    Great job and a big improvement.
    I love it and you are inspiring me to do it to one of my current basses

14. rysker6

rysker6

Nov 18, 2008
    Chicago
    guitarandstuff043.gif
    guitarandstuff044.gif
    guitarandstuff045.gif [/QUOTE]

That looks way better after, definitely the right move on that one

15. Peaveyguy

Peaveyguy

Jan 19, 2009
    Hey thanks a lot guys, I had to abandon chemical stripping after the third try and I broke out the old palm sander.

I guess I have TB's blessings and can now say it was a great success!! :)

16. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Natural oil finish, on that wood, is infinitely superior. IMHO.

17. You did a really good job (although this belongs to the luthier's corner).

You did not want a glossy (nitro) finish?

18. Whoopadidoo where do you find this hardcore stripper?

Don't forget to pick a good respirator (your lungs and your brain cells will appreciate) as well as thick gloves (stripper burns are not fun, unless it involves $1 bills folded lengthwise).

19. Peaveyguy

Peaveyguy

Jan 19, 2009
    i did now know there was a luthier's corner sorry i am still new here. and no i did not want it glossy, i really love natural wood. i built a tele that i did almost the same way here are some pics before it was completely wired and bolted up.

010.gif
    012.gif

:) i hope guitar pictures are kosher here i promise i wont post another one ever.

ive used aircraft stripper before... on motorcycles! i think its way too harsh for wood and wouldnt wana find out the hard way.

20. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    More pics of purple basses please! I want a purp bass..

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021