Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Refinishing a Ernie Ball Musicman SUB?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Superdave, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I've got a black EB MM SUB, and I'm not digging the color, or the 'plastic' finish. Would it be practical to get it refinished?

It seems like plastic which would chip right off the wood, but I'm looking to see if anyone has tried, or if it's possible for a home project, before I take it to a luthier's shop.

2. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    don't bother. I actually like the finish on those. Not really hip on the neck size, but good finish. Not worth the trouble to re-finish.

3. I don't see why you couldn't do. At least do yourself a favour and get the neck refinished with oil or satin.

4. How would one go about doing that?

Dave, I PM'd you regarding the pickguard. Can you get back to me when you get a chance, please?

Thanks.

5. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    PM sent. Anyways, the EB site says the body wood is Poplar. Is this a good natural body wood?

Anyone have any ideas on how to strip the body? I doubt sandpaper won't even dent the finish.

The main reason I'm looking to refinish the bass, is because black isn't my kind of color, and it seems too 'metal'.

6. Can't tell you about getting it off, but I can tell you poplar isn't a particularly interesting looking wood. It's very plain looking, you'd be better off refinishing it if you can get the paint off

7. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Something like those OLP basses in natural?

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Isn't the bridge attached to the body with more than just screws? How do you get it off?

9. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Is it? I'll check, what would that prevent.

10. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I think it looks cool, it kinda looks like a Rhino bed liner.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's a bit strange, but I don't mind. I'm gassing for a white one, only the pickguards gotta go. The guys at Bass NW agree, that the diamond plate is cheesier than a french desert.

12. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I think that you're going to spend a lot of money and time in a bass and the end results may be dissapointing. If you're so unhappy with the bass finish and look seel it or return it (if you still can) and buy another one. Used StingRays can be found in the $700-800 range and you'll end up with a better bass with the finish that you like.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

13. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Anyone else have input on how to go about doing this?

14. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    As far as it being "plastic which would chip right off the wood," I doubt it. If the finish did not have a good bond to the wood, it would chip off in use - just like regular paint. So I don't think it would be quite that easy.

I guess your three options would be the same as with any other stripping job - chemical (stripper), mechanical (sanding), and thermal (heat gun and scraper).

Poplar is used (exclusively AFAIK) on instruments that get painted, because it is plain in appearance and often has greenish streaks.

15. I re finished my sub bass, and it came out quite nice, compared to the cheapy plastic. oh and i quite like the black neck.
    here is a picture of me using it if you want to see how it came out. (notice the new stratchplate)

16. Looks good. What methods and materials did you use?

17. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    TGBbassplayer: That is EXACTLY what I want my bass to look like. How did you get through that plastic outer finish?

18. wow, you got a pretty clean piece of poplar for the body of that bass, on greens or yellows. very nice.