Refinishing a Fender MIM P-Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sundogue, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Here is a better pic of the body. I can't wait to get the tort pickguard though.

[​IMG]

2. There's no veneer on mine, I got a sunburst Classic 60s Jazz(mim)
    theres no black on the belly cut, you can see straight through the sunburst.
    Its 1 piece alder.

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    The are a lot of variants of the Fender P-Bass. There's the Standards, Vintage Reissues, Deluxe, etc.

I'm sure they all have different methods of construction using different wood combinations. As you can see on mine, the alder body is not one piece and I can see why a veneer was used to cover that up. Mine is certainly not the prettiest wood for a natural finish...but I'm just not a fan of painted bodies.

Even with the body glued together where grain does not match up, I still like it with a natural stain over the sunburst it was.

4. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Heh, funny you mentioned that. I showed a pic of this to my dad, that's the first thing he noticed. He said "That looks just like how doors are put together". He workd for a company that builds doors. Now he thinks we could make a bass, as long as we would get a prebuilt neck. I'm thinking those warmoth.com necks look good...

Actually, alot of products are like that where the pieces of board grains don't match up. All the cabinet doors in my kitchen are like that. Still looks awesome stained.

Your axe looks good.

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Thanks... I think. :)

I can understand that production costs go down if you don't spend time looking for special woods or matching. Which is why most all basses that are painted have the worst woods.

Those that will be stained or left natural would obviously have to be ones that are solid pieces of wood, or ones where grain is matched up.

I built a bass body a long time ago and used an existing neck I had to build my own bass. Warmoth looks like something I will look into in the future.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021