Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Refinishing a Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Caca de Kick, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Anyone ever have a Fender body redone? I found an old Jazz where the original finish had been removed from the body, and considering it.
    What kind of pricing does it typically run?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    $200-300 depending on what you want and who you get to do it.

Chas

3. I had my old '72 Jazz refinished in 1992 and it cost me $350; that included a tortoise shell pickguard, control plate, stock bridge, knobs, matching headstock and the appropriate Fender decal. Too bad the neck was twisting and I had to dump it last year.

4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I have a '69 P-Bass that had been thrashed-Spray-painted black and dinged to hell-
    I had the body finished to the natural alder and lightly tung-oiled-Fortunately this slab had a very nicely defined grain, it looks terrific. I like the natural wood, and I think it gives the axe a certain "ringing" tone, as opposed to being covered in a polyurethane coated finish. I could have chosen any finish-sunburst, black, etc-but "the Wood is Good!"
    Had it done by one of the best in the west, Wilkinson, I believe it cost about $300 & took a while-they're busy!

5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Wow! Even up to $350 seems real cheap to me. I didn't think it was that low.
    The finish I'm wanting is sunburst. I'd rather have a worn-in original, but I'll see how this bass works out $$ wise.

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    The ONLY guy to go to for refinishing, or if you want something done for the first time, is Pat Wilkins of Wilkins Guitars in CA. He's doing my USACG Fendowsky in Candy Apple Red w/ matching headstock and satin vintage tint on the neck as we speak. His prices are a little more than what have been mentioned so far, but the finish will be of the highest quality.

7. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Hey JPJ thanks for "correcting" me- My tech had my re-finish done by Wilkins, not "Wilkinson" as I had stated.
    And you are on the money-the work on my P-Bass was extraordinary- He totally brought out the grain & natural beauty of the alder wood of my Bass's body-This thing was a wreck aesthetically when I "adopted" it- With restoration including new electronics, hardware, refretting, pickguard, etc and ultimately Wilkin's GREAT job on the WOOD! this axe is in a class by itself.
    As I said, the shop takes a while, but well worth it.

8. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    LarryJ,
    Glad to hear that you were happy with your refin. Pat has had my parts for about 6 weeks now and they should be heading north to Mike Lull's woodshed for final assembly this week. And for the record, if anyone is interested in what kind of work Pat does, all you have to do is look at the finish on any Lull, Lakland, Sadowsky, etc. hanging on the wall and you'll see. While he doesn't do the finish work for ALL of the top names, he does finish instruments for "virtually" all of the best and most respected brands in the biz. Now...if I can only get a 10% discount on my bill for all of the nice things I've said! :D

9. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Depending on how old the bass is I'd make sure the neck is in great shape and just get a good clear coat on the body to keep out moisture/oil....something about an old, battered Fender just screams "Character" to me.
    Just my .02