Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Refinishing a ibanez EDB 605?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pinkfloyd, Apr 24, 2001.

1. I have got an opertunity to buy a edb605 really cheap but its purple which is not my color. Is it possible to refinish a luthite body? and how flobby is the b string on these basses?

2. Though I've never done it, I am sure that it is possible.

You should probably approach it like you would any synthetic type surface like fiberglass. I wouldn't bother to totally remove what is already there. The original paint can act as a good base for a new finish. If the bass has some nicks and dings, I would fill them with bondo (that's right, bondo!) before sanding to smoothness. I don't think sanding would take a long time either since you should probably start with 400 wet and progress through 600 to 800. Then prime and paint the color you want. By the way, stick to synthetic paints like acrylic polyurethane since this likely was what was used to finish the body in the first place. That way you won't run into solvent incompatabilities and craze the finish.

Good Luck!

3. I just had a better idea...

If it was me, I would take the bass, strip it like I was going to refinish and make a completely new body from some exotic wood. Then I'd re-fit the hardware and electronics and have a one-of-a-kind Ibanez with the tone of wood.

Yep, thats what I would do!

4. "I would take the bass, strip it like I was going to refinish and make a completely new body from some exotic wood. "

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean literally make a new body, like wood body?

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I don't think any of this is possible...the Luthite is pretty much a soft clay until it's baked. Meaning, you remove the crust, and you got some toxic goo on your hands. Adding a wood top to it is TOTALLY out of question, as is removing the finish (its ALL purple). You might be able to paint over, but sanding is a problem...you really can't do it.

6. so you think it will be more trouble then it worth and I should forget it then.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Angus, if you will read Hambone's post a little more closely, he is talking about trashing the luthite body altogether and building a wood body for the bass.

At least I THINK he is. Hambone?:)

8. Yup, that's what I mean!

Take the old body, use it as a pattern, get a blank, make it, finish it, and bolt it back together. It's as simple as that and as hard as you make it. As a matter of fact, I would welcome the chance to do this in an instant.

As for finishing a luthite body - notice I suggested using 400 grit wet sanding as a first start, then progressing to finer grades. This WILL NOT in any way, compromise the surface integrity of the luthite body. All you are going to do is smooth the imperfections you've repaired and give the top surface a little "tooth" to hold the next coat of paint. You don't need to and aren't trying to reshape the body or smooth grain.

9. that defunatly more work then I'm up for. Plus I don't think that I have the right tools to route a new body.