Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Refinishing a MIM Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gunnar Þór, Apr 24, 2003.

1. I'm thinking about refinishing my MIM Jazz and I've got a couple of questions:

Will a natural finish look good on it (It has an alder body)? I've heard the look of woods on MIMs isn't very good, do any of you have pictures of natural MIM basses?

What's the best way to do it? Is there some material that's good to use, it has a Midnight Wine polyester finish now, is there something special I'd need to do to get it off or is it better just to forget about doing it myself and take it to a luthier?

2. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i own a mim bass myself(j/bass)and i would'nt imagine spending that much time and effort to re-finish that model bass,not that they dont have the potential to be great sounding basses,it would be the sound quality i would focus on like,p/ups,bridge and electronics etc,the mex basses that have a solid color put on them are usually lower qlty pieces in general and the clear coat ones are much better selections,but its your bass IMO i would leave it and work at the sound end of it,or go buy a new bass that has what you are looking for in the looks dept.
    good luck with your choice