Refinishing a neck-thru.. Need advice on removing dye, paint etc..

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by piper2614, Oct 12, 2005.

1. piper2614

Nov 17, 2004
    Happy Bottom
    hey now,

I am somewhat new to this forum and most def. new to the refinishing/luthier process. please excuse my ignorance. I purchased a 5 string schecter neck-thru bass a few years back simply to play with. I've decided as of late that I would like to change a few things. The color of the bass is an orange/sunburst. The front has a "real" quilted maple veneer with the same color . The back is maple. I would like to completely remove all coloring and re-dye with a more natural honey or light brown color. Ive read a few opposing comments on here as well as other sites . I see some/most recommend sanding the poly coating off and continuing down to the original wood. Can this be done on veneer as well without losing or ruining the quilt? Im not completely sure if it been dyed or just painted?? I also read on another site that bleaching may be used after sanding whereason here it was not recomended?? What about chemical removers?

I appreciate any and all advice and most def. open to recommended websites.

thanks again
  2. The figuring you are seeing in the top and back of the bass is the grain itself. The wavy, undulating appearance comes from the fibers twisting and bending parallel to each other in unison in all directions - not just side to side. As light penetrates between the fibers, it bounces around and reflects off them and refracts through them giving you the moving, shifting effect. Figuring like this is enhanced when a finish is used that penetrates between the fibers acting like a clear lens actually carrying light further down into the grain. The deeper light can go, the more pop it gives to the grain. When a clear coat is put on top of this - the effect is further enhanced.

Color is added to these woods in several ways - dye, stain, and transparent or translucent top coats. Dyes and stains penetrate the wood and remain in it during the clearcoating stage. Transparent topcoats can be tinted and then put on top of wood as another way of coloring but this isn't done much as a sole method of coloring. It's usually done as a tint, or as a color adjustment, or when the color is so light or difficult to control that the only way to achieve the proper value is by diluting it and applying it with the clear topcoat.

Paint uses solid pigments and won't let any figuring show through the film layer.