Refinishing a neglected Warwick Dolphin.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Mo'Phat, Jan 7, 2004.

1. I have an early 90's Warwick Dolphin Pro 2 (MIG) 4-stringer that I've recently taken out of my rotation because the finish is just too lame. It's got a teal translucent paint job, but I'm not sure if it's polyurethane or laquer.

A drummer in one of my former bands thought it would be 'neat' to bang on the strings with his sticks whilst I hold a cowbell in one hand and fret a melody in the other. It was neat until after one gig I noticed about 20 drumstick bead-sized dings on the finish.

I've got two other basses with traditional finishes (tuxedo black and classic sunburst) so I was thinking of refinishing the Warwick to natural or maybe a dark stain.

I'm fairly certain the body is Ash, with a Maple neck and Wenge fingerboard. The headstock is gloss black.

Any advice or suggestions?

This Bass...strangely enough is the exact same bass I'm describing, even though it's just a bass I found while browsing around.
  2. Over 70 readers but no helpers? Oh well...I guess I'll just dip it in turpentine and see what happens?!