1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)
  2. Because Photobucket has chosen to in effect "take down" everyone's photos (unless you pay them), we have extended post edit time in the Luthier's Corner to UNLIMITED.  If you used photobucket and happen to still have your images of builds, you can go back and fix as many of your posts as far back as you wish.

Note that TalkBass will host unlimited attachments for you, all the time, for free ;)  Just hit that "Upload a File" button.  You are also free to use our Media Gallery if you want a place to create albums, organize photos, etc :)

Refinishing a neglected Warwick Dolphin.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Mo'Phat, Jan 7, 2004.

1. I have an early 90's Warwick Dolphin Pro 2 (MIG) 4-stringer that I've recently taken out of my rotation because the finish is just too lame. It's got a teal translucent paint job, but I'm not sure if it's polyurethane or laquer.

A drummer in one of my former bands thought it would be 'neat' to bang on the strings with his sticks whilst I hold a cowbell in one hand and fret a melody in the other. It was neat until after one gig I noticed about 20 drumstick bead-sized dings on the finish.

I've got two other basses with traditional finishes (tuxedo black and classic sunburst) so I was thinking of refinishing the Warwick to natural or maybe a dark stain.

I'm fairly certain the body is Ash, with a Maple neck and Wenge fingerboard. The headstock is gloss black.

Any advice or suggestions?

This Bass...strangely enough is the exact same bass I'm describing, even though it's just a bass I found while browsing around.

2. Over 70 readers but no helpers? Oh well...I guess I'll just dip it in turpentine and see what happens?!