1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Refinishing an Am Std P

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by sigmafloyd, Aug 18, 2012.

1. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm looking to have my Am Std P bass refinished. I'd like to have it redone in nitro. Would you guys recommend removing the original finish (Black) first or can the new finish be applied on top?

Also - has anyone finished an alder bass in transparent white? I love the 57 with gold guard look, but I know that is ash.

thanks

2. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    Bump

3. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    If you are brave, you can sand. then sand some more. Then try sanding agian.

OR

Go get yourself a painters metal tray, drop in P bass body.....pour acetone over body.

Paint will come off in like.....5 mins. Acetone is dangerous though so do this outside with gloves.

Also, go here for painting info and how to information. There is also a crapload of info for painting on here.

4. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    Is the existing finish nitro?

If not, you'll probably need to take all of the existing finish off. I'm not sure if acrylic/enamel/urethane/shellac sealers are compatible with nitro.

Every nitro refinish job I have seen used vinyl sealer.

Edit:

Acetone is flammable, and you don't want to huff the fumes, but it's not that dangerous, and unless you have open cuts or other skin issues on your hands, you don't even really need to wear gloves. Acetone is an organic solvent. It is the chief active ingredient in most fingernail polish removers. I've never seen a woman use fingernail polish removers with gloves on. It won't hurt your skin, but it will cause open wounds to burn (much like rubbing alcohol). And it evaporates extremely fast, so even that won't last very long.

5. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    The finish is not nitro, it's a 2008 AmStd

6. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I am not a fender guy, so I have no idea what they were using in 2008. So whatever it is, if it's not nitro, you may need to take it all the way down to wood before you refinish it with nitro.

http://www.reranch.com/basics.htm

Assuming it is poly (ester or urethane), citristrip (citrus based paint stripper) is a good way to eliminate the clear coat and color coat. It's not super fast, but it's easy to use and it won't kill you or give your children extra limbs. It will take you down to the sealer coat. On many factory basses, the sealer coat is ridiculously thick and heavy. When you hit the sealer coat, you will know it by a strange sort of sandy texture and milky appearance the citristrip will give it. In my experience, citristrip is generally not up to the task of removing the sealer coat. For that, you will need either aircraft paint stripper or a sander. I would recommend a good random orbital sander, like a Porter-Cable with a not-very aggress grit paper. Something like 180 is a good choice to start with. You can usually get RO sanders for ~$20 or so at a pawn shop.

If you use aircraft stripper, your children may turn into super-villains. It's not for the faint of heart.

If you choose to sand it, watch the dust carefully. If you see the dust change from white to cream-colored, you have just hit wood. Stop and change to a finer grit, like 220 or 320. From this point, it should be very easy to see where the sealer coat remains, compared to where it has been removed.

Once you get it all off, switch to a hard sanding block (like a piece of wood with sandpaper stuck to the bottom, and level the surfaces.

After that, consult ReRanch 101.

7. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    Love the reranch.

Also, I just did the acetone method with an american standard instrument like 2 weeks ago. It may not be Nitro but it comes off like nitro.

8. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    Thanks for all the detail. I won't be doing it myself. I don't trust myself with a sander

9. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    Nice, got any before and after pics?

10. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    I'd grab a cheap heat gun from Harbor Freight and go to town.

11. FunkRenegade

FunkRenegade

Jul 7, 2012
    I had an 08 black p and the finish on it was so thin, I would get a new ding everytime I carried it in a gig bag. It may be easier to strip than older fenders with thick finish.