1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

refinishing an ibanez

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dvs20, Mar 17, 2008.

1. dvs20

dvs20

Mar 11, 2007
    mantua, OH
    I have an Ibanez gsr 205, 5 string, I don't play. I figure it's probably worth 200-250 if that. I decided I'm going to refinish it and maybe get new hardware and what not, since it's an entry level 5 stringer I'm sure it's made with cheap wood, but I think I'm going to stain it anyway I like the way wood looks! what do I have to look for in taking it apart? I'm just going to mark the wiring I'm sure I can get that accomplished, truss rod scares me (does it even have one?) I was thinking about going fretless but I changed my mind on that. any tips??? or ideas I'm open for suggestions, I don't want to put in alot of money because the only thing that will unseat the warwick $$ is a rickenbacker. and I prefer 4 strings also.

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    If i were you, i would sell it. I don't see how it will bring you much satisfaction, and removing the finish on a Ibanez is a real pain. I did it once, and my guitar sits in disarray cos it was tiring, not worth the effort once i realised how much effort it was, and basically it was pointless. Yeah.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You won't have to remove or do anything with the truss rod other than cover up the access hole to prevent stain and finish from getting in there, and that 's if you plan to refinish the neck. You of course will have to remove all the hardware, pickups, etc. from the body. It's pretty easy to see how everything is attached and put together.

Do a search--there have been a number of threads about refinishing basses. It's a lot of work and I wouldn't bother with an entry level bass that you won't be playing much.

If you've never had much experience with applying finishes and refinishing wood, it might not be a project for you.

I don't see that replacing the bridge or tuning pegs on the bass will be an improvement. The pickups can be improved upon and the preamp, but it depends how much money you want to put into it.

4. FWIW, those cheap Ibanez basses aren't made with very nice wood (I have one) and have a VERY thick and hard clearcoat on it, which will drive you crazy trying to remove. You'd have to sand it all down, and there's a good chance that by the time you get it down that far, you'll have ruined the wood.

What exactly do you plan on refinishing it with? Do you just want to change the color or what?

5. if its ugly wood, use chemicals, u cant make something ugly - even more ugly ;)

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I'm all for chemicals if they work. In this case they won't. Those factory finishes are impervious to chemical strippers. The fastest is a heat gun and scraper, followed by sanding.

Probably the wood isn't worth the effort. You won't know though until the finish is removed. Sometimes you get a pleasant surprise.

Anyhow, there have been countless threads like this and the easiest way to find out more is to do a search.

And anyone seriously wanting to get a professional looking finish should buy a good book on the subject, then buy some materials and do some practicing on scrap wood. It can be a lot of fun if you're into that sort of thing and it's nice to have a finished result that looks better than the original. But unless you plan on doing a good job and are willing to put in the work, don't bother with it.

7. 2lim

2lim

Feb 25, 2007
    Those basses are basswood, unless you get the 200FM, which has a little tiny thin flame maple veneer on it.

The wood looks like basswood looks......... boring as anything.

Simon

8. Kennethfaria

Kennethfaria Banned

Mar 12, 2008
    The only thing left WROTH doing would be go fretless. Put some epoxy over it, and for 2 months you wont even think warwick.

9. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    That 205 is pretty much worthless. No store will give you much resale or trade-in value for it. They can be had all over Craig's List for between $100-150. That means a store would give you trade-in MAYBE $75. That's it.

It's not a terribly valuable bass. Quite disposable, if you ask me. My SR-405's aren't much greater than yours, I only got offered $175 for mine when I was considering trading in for a Spector.

Either have fun refinishing or customizing, or pass it down to the next generation of bassists near you.