Refinishing Foundation 5 string - What Color?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kitsapbass, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Charger Green

7 vote(s)
    8.4%
  2. Graffiti Yellow

4 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Shell Pink

22 vote(s)
    26.5%
  4. Dakota Red

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. Sonic Blue

22 vote(s)
    26.5%
  6. Black Cherry

9 vote(s)
    10.8%
  7. Sherwood Green

12 vote(s)
    14.5%
  8. Burgundy Mist

3 vote(s)
    3.6%
  9. Inca Silver

11 vote(s)
    13.3%
  10. Pewter

9 vote(s)
    10.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Hey guys!

I'm in the process of refinishing my old pawnshop special that I got back in 04...and I am interested in hearing people's opinions on what color I should paint it. Right now the finish is really really really beat to crap, and, while I'm a big fan of the relic look, this Peavey doesn't really work in that look. I'll be leaving the headstock/neck alone - so whatever I do this one as, it has to work with a maple neck/fingerboard. Chrome hardware, too...

If you have a color to share that isn't listed, please feel free to speak up, and thanks for your time....:hyper:

2. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    I'd say sonic blue or pewter.

3. Kitsapbass

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    I'm kind of going for one of the metal flake finishes myself, but I'm all about getting people's opinions first....

4. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    My first thoughts before entering this thread was to scream for you to paint it yellow, just because I've been having gas for yellow musical equipment. Had I realized this was a multi-choice poll before I voted, I would have voted for yellow.

But seriously, I think the sonic blue/maple combo would just look great.

5. I'm considering refinishing two basses myself, but I know so little of the process. I don't even know what questions to ask.

Oh yeah, paint it black.

6. Kitsapbass

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    That's what color it is right now.

But here's the deal; I currently have one in black (my Ibanez)...plus I've had about 10 others in black. I have one that's white (My Kubicki), and my Cherry Sunburst Guild Pilot 5. I just want something different, and beings that I won't be buying another bass for a while, and this one's getting refurbished (to say the least), I figured why the heck not???

7. I voted for Shell Pink because it's just cool to have a pink bass. :D

8. Kitsapbass

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA

and I appreciate the fact that you voted how you think...one of my fave basses out there right now is the pink Joe Osborn Lakland 5 string. I think it looks great, plus I'm a sucker for Fender colors.

9. canshaker

canshaker

Dec 15, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown/ESP/Dunlop/Line 6/Normandy.
    Dude, How AWESOMELY random!! I actually have 2 basses being made for me right now!!
    1 Sonic Blue (w/ tortoise shell pickguard)
    and 1 Pewter (w/ pearloid pickguard and matching peg face)

10. Kitsapbass

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Thanks for your input. I thought about going for a burst, but when I saw the wood underneath....I decided a solid would most likely be better. Not that it has bad figuring, but pretty much no figuring. So, rather than have it look like a bad off-shore knock off, I decided that a solid color would be the way to go.

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I say shell pink. I had a pink Foundation and it was killer.:bassist:

12. Kitsapbass

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    I am definitely going to pick one in the top 3...I just like too many of these colors to pick from all of them. I'm sorry, just too dang indecisive.

13. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    I voted pewter because its a nice color and there was no option for black. With the exception of a T40 I owned at one point and an EBO (or EB-0. I've seen it both ways to be honest) all of my axes have been black. For me thats the only color for them (for my personal ownership that is). I recently became the owner of a Foundation 4 string and am about to pick up a Foundation 5 string and both of them are FIRE ENGINE RED .... O_O I have thought of getting them repainted..black... (that was hard to guess, right? LOL) but I kind of don't want to deter from their original set up so permanently, so instead Im going to bind them both in black pinstripe and swap out chrome hardware for black (keeping all original pieces I take off with them) and learn to live with the red. :)

Do we get to see before and after pics of your Foundation?

14. Kitsapbass

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA

Of course you do...well, kind of. When I finally get around to taking pics that is...but you won't be able to see the real before...someone had pawned it when it was wrapped in......DUCT TAPE. So, you will get a "before" pic, and then when everything's done (in about 2 weeks, because of the poll to pick the color, prep work and then the spray jobs) I'll post more pics.

15. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Shell Pink, or a metallic hot pink if posible.

16. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Duck Tape? Oh that poor thing... :( Although I have matte black electrical tape wound on the edges of my Brownsville Bat's body and top of the head stock. It was done tastefully and as I've said elsewhere its for its own protection. LOL Just call me 'al kabong' I'm treacherous with an axe strapped to me if you don't give me a lot of room. LOL And I don't get it cause I don't move that much when I'm playing *scratches head* but if theres something there to smash into with my bass I will somehow do it.

17. I voted Sherwood green. I'm getting my GK 800RB powder coated in that color. I'd also do it up in black hardware since black tuners on a maple headstock is sexy time to me, but that's just IMO, which would qualify as totally moot for this thread. I think it would look great in any of the colors you mentioned, even shell pink.

18. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    dakota red, sonic blue, or sherwood green.

19. gjooro

gjooro

Mar 27, 2006
    Croatia
    shell pink

20. I say gold, I have a foundation that was refinished in gold and it is killer.

lowsound

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021