Refinishing Headstock Help – Waterslide decal and vintage tint clear coat

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Philthy, May 4, 2018.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Flanders, NJ
    I’m hoping someone can help guide me in the right direction with this. I recently picked up a used SBMM Ray34ca bass. Feels and plays great, however, one of the prior owners partially sanded down the headstock, removed the original logo and put on a Musicman Stingray Bass decal. Did a pretty crappy job sanding and never refinished the headstock. I’m not crazy about having a this decal on the headstock. So, I’d like to stand it down, clean up the headstock and refinish it. What I’m looking to do is print my own decal at home on inkjet waterslide decal paper and then spray the front of the headstock with a similar tinted clear coat. My question is what can I use to get the similar vintage amber tint as the rest of the neck (see pics)? If possible, I’d like to be able to go and pick up something from the local hardware store. Would any of the Minwax poly sprays work and give me that amber tint? (Water Based Oil Modified Poly or Helmsman Spar Urethane) Not sure what type of clear coat was on the headstock previously. Maybe lacquer???

Is there anything I should be concerned about with applying the decal? What should I spray it with before applying the clear coat over it?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated on how to do this simply yet effective.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. If you print the decal at home, spray a light coat of Rustoleum or Krylon clear on it and let that dry before you put it in the water.

Yes, the Minwax oil-modified finish should give the neck a yellowish or amber tint. You will have to experiment to see if it matches what’s already there. I think Ernie Ball uses TruOil or something similar on their newer necks.

3. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Flanders, NJ
    Could you lightly mist the decal with the Minwax oil modified stuff or acrylic lacquer (Duplicolor Automotive stuff) before spraying the headstock with the Minwax ?

4. That will probably work. I know I’ve used the other two brands. Just print a test decal, mist it with the finish you want to use, let it dry and put it in some water. If the ink on the decal doesn’t run off in the water, you’re good to go.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022