Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Refinishing in Canada,where to go?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rezdog, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    I was wondering if any of you would know of some one that could refinish a bass in Canada. I had wanted to have a go at it myself over the winter but I've got a couple of kids that would not be able to handle the fumes.
    The body of the bass is swamp ash in a natural finish and the neck is maple. I'd like to have the body and headstock refinished in clear blue. Thanks for any help.
    Rezdog

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I don't know any in Canada, but I think Roxy Guitar Finish is in Wisconsin or Minnesota... That's pretty close, depending on where YOU are.

3. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Yep, big country here. . .
    If you are out on the wet coast, try Paul Iverson over at Calder Music in North Van.

LM

4. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    I was just gonna keep it to the Great Lakes area but Fed Ex and Brown go every where. But ya, you could fit alot of countries into this one.
    Rezdog

5. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Email George from Fbass ---> http://www.fbass.com/ and ask for Mike's number. He's former worker of Fbass has his own Shop in Hamilton now - I think it's called The Peg. Mike will od a brilliant job for you and no waiting period like all the local Toronto shops. He also does a killer set up and charges les money then any of the local guys. I might go up there for a set up as well - next month or so.

Cheers

Cheers

6. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    Thanks for the heads up. Hamilton is a bit closer to where I am.
    Rezdog

7. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Bill Calder retired and sold the place a while back, it's Tom Lee Music in North Van now. Paul's still there in the basement doing great work though.

8. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks Jeff,
    Yeah, I forgot about that. Things they are a-changin' .
    I still tell people to go to Ward's for music, you know -near the Woodward's building! :rolleyes:

9. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I know, I know...
    LOL

10. Mike's shop is called "Peghead"

Right downtown in the Hammer...give 411 a call, they can give you the #

11. Mike's shop is called "Peghead"

Right downtown in the Hammer...give 411 a call, they can give you the #.

Excellent shop, great buch of knowledgeable guys and gals. They are the only ones who I let touch my guitars.

12. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    Thanks alot.
    Rezdog