1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Refinishing mahogany into a darker shade

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ruoska, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Ruoska

Ruoska

Nov 9, 2006
    Finland
    Hey guys :) I'm looking at possibly refinishing one of these Ibanez SR5000MMs from a few decades ago: http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1997/97032.jpg

It looks like, aside of a few strips of something else, the body is just plain natural mahogany finished with an oil or something. How much skill would it take to refinish it into a darker natural color? Something to match the wenge neck and headstock perhaps.

I work for a construction/renovation company so I have a space to do it in and have access to pretty much any tool I you'd need for sanding or stripping the finish. I've just never done it and absolutely don't want it to end up anything like that butchered P-bass body in that other thread :D

I want it to feel and look like the original, just darker. Or could even do a color, I love how oiled Warwicks look in bright colors. If all it takes is time and effort I'm all for that, I just want to know if a pro-level finish is attainable for a first-timer. All I've done before is finish kitchen tops.

Thanks in advance, everyone :)