1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Refinishing my bass - what color would you choose?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Vintage Cream

19 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. Coral

12 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Sonic Blue

21 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Orang Orange

11 vote(s)
    13.1%
  5. Shell Pink

8 vote(s)
    9.5%
  6. Fiesta Red

13 vote(s)
    15.5%
  1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I modded my bass and ended up drilling holes that I don't need. I'm thinking about dowling the holes and refinishing the body and headstock in a solid color. What color would you choose for the refin? I don't want to go with something normal but I don't want to get too crazy either...

Here is my bass:
    100_1190.

Here are the choices

Vintage Cream:
    P1090008.

Coral:
    P5090063.

Sonic Blue:
    DSCF8541.

Orang Orange:
    1aa1orangeorange.

Shell Pink:
    PB140060.

Fiesta Red:
    IMG_1243.

2. UBU

UBU

Nov 15, 2006
    NYC
    A nice orange, like a carrot orange is nice.

3. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    That's right - I forgot to include "carrots" as a polling option. TB sacriledge!

4. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Update. I forgot to show my bass in the first place. It doesn't have a pickguard which might affect opinions.

5. jtl1380

jtl1380

Oct 12, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    That's a helluva mod. That must be one thunderous G&L. What's the control setup?

6. jtl1380

jtl1380

Oct 12, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    Sonic Blue was my vote btw...

7. I voted vintage creme. I like the way it compliments the RW fretboard and black p/ups.

DiMarzio Model One at the neck position?

8. Definitely

Definitely Banned

No bursts? I could see any of your choices with a black burst edge. Ooooo a black with sonic blue burst edges? Otherwise I'd go cream probably, matching headstock though.

9. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Had to vote for Shell Pink since Sea Foam Green wasn't available.

10. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Fiesta RED!

11. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    The wiring is nuts! When I refinish it I'm going to completely redo the wiring. The G&L pickups each have their own parallel/inner single/series switch, there's a pickup selector switch to select between them, the volume is a push/pull to toggle between stock series and "single-coil with bass boost", and then there's a passive treble cut and passsive bass cut. The two top switches are for the Dimarzio Will Power pickup (wider string spacing and better tone than Model One) - one is on/off and the other is series/single/parallel. When I refinish it I'm going to have the treble cut be a push/pull on/off for the WP and put a series/single/parallel switch for it between the two MFD switches.

The funny thing about this setup is that the pickups have different resistances. The MFD's are about 9.5 and the Will Power is about 12.5, so if I have the MFD bass all the way up
    the WP bass is gone. If I'm going to combine MFD and the WP I need to cut the MFD bass all the way and then they act as treble for the WP. I can get some really clear and round sounds by mixing them. I can also just have the WP or just the MFD's.

I'm going to be refinishing it myself so no bursts - it's enough of a stretch to do a simple solid color! There's a guy on Ebay that does custom water slide decals. I'm going to get one that says: G&L EB-2000.

12. Fiesta red

13. Generally speaking, I like anything orange except traffic barrels, but I couldn't see the extra holes you drilled, so I say leave it as is. It's beautiful.

14. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    The holes I referred to have switches in them in the picture - it's the two top holes. I should have just used a push/pull for the treble cut and put the Will Power parallel/single/series switch in between two of the lower switches. The extra pickup makes it unique from any other G&L L2000 but I want to make it really custom with a new paint job.

15. Flabass

Flabass Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    As an owner of 2 L2000's I personally would leave it as is. But if you are going to paint it I voted for the vintage cream, my second choice would be the coral.

16. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Vintage Cream, baby, YEAHHHHHHH! :D

Definitely match the headstock as well. :bassist:

17. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    That coral is nice, huh? I had originally thought vintage cream, but the coral is calling my name...

I'd leave it but I want to remove the two extra switch holes and cover up some personal clumsiness in the recent customization process.

18. Definitely

Definitely Banned

A burst really isn't too bad, I just watched some YouTube videos and it's really pretty easy, just do the solid then an unclear but even (if that makes any sense) band around the edge. Good luck with the refin! Hopefully we will be seeing a refin thread?

19. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Oh yeah, I'll definitely be chronicling the process. I won't be doing this until next summer but it's on my mind and I figured I'd get some color ideas.

20. i refinish a lot of my instruments, and i gotta say, in my experience, sometimes you gotta let the bass decide what color it should be. your bass looks like it would do well with vintage cream, or a blue color.