1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Refinishing my guitar.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grimsoul11, Jan 12, 2012.

1. grimsoul11

grimsoul11

Jan 11, 2012
    Hello Talk Bass! I'm new to these forums and I have questions about refinishing my Squier Jazz Bass. I was wondering if anyone could link me helpful videos or guides on how to do this.

2. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Guitar finishing

the hardest part will be getting the thick poly finish off. Forget about chemical strippers, they will only dull the finish. You will wear out several blets with your belt sander. Heat is the best way to remove it. Heat gun and scraper, or clothes iron through a paper bag and scrape.

3. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Just a heads up on this one...

I didn't know anything about refinishing when I started my first project. I tried to record everything I did right, and wrong, as I moved through the process. I did a lot wrong, but it turned out well in the end. Might help you to figure out the process if you wander through the thread. Please Note: I am not posting this as any kind of expert--far from it. It is here because you should be able to figure out the basic steps if you can get through it.

Here's the finished product: DSCF9863.

Here's the thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/slow-refinish-89-peavey-fury-630878/

4. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    There is a lot of info to be had here on the site and elsewhere on the internet. One good way and a time saver is to scuff sand the original finish and go right over it. The downside is the finish at the end will be REALLY thick due to putting one finish over another. Using this method I refinished one guitar a few years ago and without a shop it was a real time consuming bugger! The saving grace was the original finish was kind of thin and cheap so the end product is not too bad.

I'm no stranger to the process and back in the 80's I refinished a few guitars and basses and made a few bodies and finished them. But I had the use of a cabinet shop and pro level equipment etc... it is not a terrible job then. The real P.I.T.A is getting the mirror finish on the new stuff with wet sanding, buffing and polishing. Again, pro level equipment comes in real handy then. it is not a necessity but it sure helps!

With no shop, no proper tools and rattle cans the process is smelly, dirt messy and very time consuming. A few issues (good or bad) was I was not crazy about breathing all the sanding dust or fumes during the process. I did use a dust mask but not a respirator. I also used El Sol (the sun) to "bake" the finish as it was not totally drying in the back room of the store or my garage. No UV drying chamber here, ya know? So out in the sun it went in 4 different curing sessions. Kind of a nice cheap UV oven!

When it came time for me to turn my VM Jazz into a Geddy Clone, I cheated. I put an ad in the classifieds and straight up traded my natural VM Jazz maple body for a gloss black alder body... It was a much easier way to change the color of the body!

5. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    how are you planning on refinishing it?

solid color? sunburst? I can tell you you could spend more on refinishing than the bass is worth

also basses with solid colors are sometimes made out of wood with really ugly grain, so don't plan on putting a transparent finish on yours

6. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Muy Bueno!!!
    :bassist:

7. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
  8. grimsoul11

grimsoul11

Jan 11, 2012
    Thank you for all your help. I'm doing a solid finish so I'm not over complicating on my first try at this.