1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Refinishing My MTD- 1st Time Refinisher

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jzbass6, Mar 18, 2009.

1. jzbass6

jzbass6 One Nation Under A Groove

Looking for some advice and I did do a lot of searhing prior to posting about the subject. I want to refinish my green stain MTD 635 to more of a brown or cherry stain, I've looked at a few stripping solvents but open to advice. The major question, is wood bleaching a easier way to rmove the present stain color as opposed to sanding it away. I worried about having to remove to much of the wood and possibly changing the tone. If bleaching is a feasible option what kind should I use? The body wood is supposed to be either Tulipwood or Korina, I'm really sure and so far no one can tell me for sure. I've added a couple of pic's to show the bass now and the color I'm shooting for. Any help, advice, comments are appreciated.
    Thx, Will

Attached Files:

2. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    I'd be interested in how this works too, I wouldn't mind re-staining my warwick to be black...

3. jzbass6

A Pic of the Back

Attached Files:

4. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    i'm not going to tell you not to do this to your mtd...but please please please please please strip and refinish a cheap practice bass first!

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    That's a very nice and very expensive bass. You don't know what you're doing. No offense meant, but it's obvious from your questions. Don't practice on that bass. If you owned an expensive antique dining table would you get some kid from down the street to refinish it for you? Buy a cheap used bass and practice on it until you get it together.

6. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    I draw a lot of my insparation from mtd basses. they are quite expensive. please think hard about refinishing. teal is such an awsome color!

7. jzbass6

None taken, but I have refinished furniture with pretty decent results, but never a bass guitar, that's why I'm asking all these questions.

I purchased it used with the thought of refinishing it and although a nice color Teal it's not my cup of tea (I've actually nicknamed it turd) LOL. I know Mike uses a catalyzed acrylic urethane satin finish on his bass and I'm not trying to duplicate that, I would probaly use a tung oil finish. After removing the finish and sanding my worry is how deep the stain is in the wood, thats why I mentioned bleaching to lighten wood to accept a different color. All that being said, what would the average cost of having it done by a pro?
    Thx

8. dblbass

dblbass Commercial User

Mar 24, 2007
    Beacon, NY
    Owner of MBJ guitars, Maker of fine sawdust for Carl Thompson Guitars
    Please dont do that. Its not gunna look the same. why dont you sell that bass and buy a different one in a colour you like or trade it or something.

9. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

+1 sell the one you don't like the colour of for one you do - or do a trade.

The colour you're shooting for also has a flame maple top which gives it a grain pattern that looks good in that colour, your teal bass looks to have a more nondescript piece of wood, which is probably why it's got a more solid colour in the first place

Even if you get it 100% right first time I think disappointment beckons

10. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Well, you're one step up the rung if you can consistently get good results refinishing furniture.

I can't tell from the pictures if the stain or dye used is deep into the wood. It could be a stain or a dye or both. Don't worry about sanding changing the tone of the bass. I've done a lot of it and it hasn't changed anything. On an acoustic guitar or violin, yes, but not what is basically a plank with strings.

You might have to bleach or you might not. You'll know once you get the finish off if you do decide to do it. You'll also know better then if a tung oil finish will be the best option. From the looks of your bass compared to what you want it to look like, your bass may turn out a similar colour but much less attractive.

It would be expensive to have a pro do it. It's only worth it if you absolutely must have this bass done in a different colour. If you removed all the hardware, etc. yourself and sanded the finish off, and didn't bugger it up requiring additional fix up work, a simple stain and tung oil job would be fairly cheap, but you could do that yourself. However it may look pretty bland-depends on what the wood looks like underneath. A simple tung oil finish is one of the easiest jobs to do. You might have to do some work with a dye and some additional work with a glazing stain and that's when you start to get in over your head if you haven't got much experience.

Take it to someone locally who does good work and have him give you an estimate and explain to you exactly what he would do. Then you can decide what to do next.

I also recommend you go to the Fine Woodworking website and look up a book called "Hand Applied Finishes" by Jeff Jewitt. There's even a short video clip you can watch where he gives an example. It would be good for you to get a copy of this book and the DVD that you can also buy. There's some great stuff in both. Jewitt has written many articles for that magazine and has lots of professional experience. He knows what he talks about. There are other guys who have books out who also know what they're talking about, but I find Jewitt's one of the best to start with. I bought a couple of his books about 5 years ago and even though I had a lot of experience I learned a lot from them.

11. jzbass6

Thx 62bass for the advice, this will help me to decide whether to move forward or not.