1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Refinishing my Warwick

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by largo, Dec 19, 2004.

1. largo

largo

Nov 19, 2004
    G'day all

I just bought a new, well new to me Warwick Streamer Stage II.

I managed to get it fairly cheap because the previous owner had dropped something on it, which has left a 6" scar on the body. Luckily it didn't hit anything else but the body and the bass is A1 except for this.

My next question is ....

I've sanded down the body and there's no longer a trace of the wound(!) however i'm struggling to match up the finish with the sanded piece.

Any suggestions ?

I've tried Teak Oil but it's still too light.

Maybe a colour stain, or something else.

I was under the impression, going with the Warwick website that I could just wax it and it would bring the colour back, not yet it hasn't.

Hope to hear from you all soon.

2. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Ouch an that sucks! Can you send a pic of the bass in question? I would ask a local luthier if you have one!

3. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    (nother suggestion for natural finished warwick owners, sorta related) If you have a dent (no wood missing), you can steam it out with a wet cloth and a soldering iron, then finishing with steel wool. Works like a charm.

4. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    likely depends on the wood. i have a corvette and had neck re-profiled. luthier put some Tung Oil on it. Iniitially looked light, then darkened (wood usually darkens after months of sunlight, even if its a small amount). If I were you I would buff the whole bass with steel wool to equalize the finish. so what did you pay for this beauty? c'mon

5. largo

largo

Nov 19, 2004
    I got the bass for £400 !

I reckon that's not a bad deal, and I think you are right.
    I may spend my Christmas holidays removing the wax finish, and sanding down the whole body with steel wool to get the same finish. Then a few coats of Tung Oil and a wax and hopefully I'll have a new-look Stage II for £400 and a bit of elbow grease.

What do you think.

6. largo

largo

Nov 19, 2004
    OK

I thought I should update you all on the answers received from Warwick support on this one. Thanks to the 2 Rob's for their help, Warwick support in the UK and US respectively.

Apparently Warwick's have no oil finish when they leave the factory. The only oil is from the Warwick wax !

So, here's what I've been advised to do and this isn't for the faint-hearted. I've built a couple of basses from scratch so have the materials & confidence(!) to do this.

All being well you can sand an area of a warwick body, i'm talking about the natural oil-finished one's here and then apply the Warwick wax to match the finish.

However, if you're Warwick is older then the finish may have aged and you have no chance of matching finishes.

In this case, you can try applying Pure Tung Oil to darken the wood slightly before waxing.

Last resort, and what I've had to do is ....
    Using Lighter Fluid remove the wax from the body to match up the whole finish and then re-wax.

I've stripped the body & neck of my bass back to bare wood, and will be applying several coats of wax over the next few weeks.

That's it.

P.S. If you have any doubts let a skilled luthier do this !