1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Refinishing questions...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by FeelTheGroove, Apr 29, 2006.

1. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    Im beginning work on a project Precision-type bass. I have a Yamaha BB200 body, which I think is either alder or basswood (anyone happen to know?). Anyway its a cheesy-looking fire engine red, and i definatly want to refinish it. But im clueless as far as finsihes go.

Would it be better to sand it down to the bare wood first, or just paint over the existing finish?

Can I use regular paint? (like Krylon spray?) Will that effect the tone in any way? Or do I have to use special paint made for guitar finishing?

I would appreiciate any advice...

2. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    ?

3. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005
    Sand the body down to bare wood. Then, you'll have to prime it, and then paint it whatever new color you want.

It's probably best to use a spray of some kind. A spray gun would be the best, as you'll get a nice, even finish. I've seen some pretty decent jobs done with a can of spray paint, though.

As for the type of paint- I really don't know if that matters. I've heard that automotive paint works very well, but I've never tried it, so I can't say.