Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Refinishing rusty parts on a used cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RevGroove, Nov 12, 2002.

1. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Hola,

Well, I just bought a new cab...and the difference in appearance between that and the old cab is so apparent! The new cab is a Workingman's 1x15t, and the old one is a 2x10T...

...so, I want to refurbish the 2x10 by getting rid of the rust and painting her up a little...any suggestions as far as what type of paint to use and what can be used to get rid of the rust? Thanks!
    :D

2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    If the rusty parts are chromed??, an old trick learned in my childhood is rub it with tin foil shiny side. Let me know if it works for you.

3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    My cold medication is kicking in.....on the chrome before you try the old tin foil trick, you might try automotive rubbing compound.

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    The Hammerite paint looks like an option...the other option was Tremclad paint...there's no chrome involved, but thanks for the suggestion rumblethump!

5. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    This might be overkill for your rust problem, but a Dremel tool is a small handheld grinder that is the most useful refinishing tool I've found. You can attach a variety of small wire wheels or polishing wheels, and (carefully) remove rust in seconds. Or get some Naval Jelly to dissolve rust.

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I think it's best to remove the rust first. You could use even something as simple as sandpaper to rub it off, and after that add protective coating of paint.

7. There are products available to treat rust with, it basically turns the rust back into metal.
    I used it once to repare my rusting car, bought it in an automotive store, I think it was called Rustmaster or something ...