Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

refinishing sx bound necks..?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Christian Waiau, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    heres my question..

i want to mod these two basses... reshape the headstock.. refinish the neck.. and repaint the body...

the body i can do..

the neck how ever.. im not too sure..

the basses have bound necks.. so im not sure if thats going to come in to play while sanding off the laquer finish.

the fretboards are covered in a finish also and i dont want to damage them..anyone have any expierence in this?

also.. anyone recommend a finish for the necks?

these are the basses...
    http://www.rondomusic.net/product396.html
    http://www.rondomusic.net/sjb75.html

thanks, chris

2. The finish you'll be removing is a gawdawful smelling poly of some unknown origin. It's thick and I bet it's toxic ;)

I would sand it off with an 80 grit but only up to the binding. then take it off of the binding with 220. You'll know when you break through if it's a celluloid binding or a vinyl binding. If it's celluloid, it will smell like camphor. You'll want to put something back on them because unsealed celluloid can shrink back a bit as it ages.

3. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass

awesome thanks.

what kind of finish would you recommend? i'm guessing a oil and wax finish isnt going to help the bindings?

4. You're probably right but you could just mask off the neck and spray them with a light poly to keep them nice after you've oiled the rest of the neck. That way you can include just a little sliver of the oiled wood in with the masked area to get the overlap and keep it looking good.