1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Refinishing warwick coloured oil to natural.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ceeprm, Apr 13, 2006.

1. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Hi

Im after a Warwick Streamer Jazzman and have been recently been offered one at a bargain price in translucent red finish- how difficiult would it be to sand this finish down so it was a natural colour of the wood- ie how deep does the stain that Warwick use penetrate the wood and would it really be worth it?

Thanks

Phil

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Given how porous ash is, it might penetrate quite deep.
    IMO, red is not bad. I'd leave it as it is. By sanding deep, you might do more damage (eg uneven sanding, sanding marks if you use coarser paper).

3. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Yeah I actually don't mind the red- judging by the pictures the guy sent me the top isn't actually that flamed anyway so it might not look that good. Id probably prefer a natural one but at half the price of a new one I cant really complain!

cheers

Phil

4. If the bass is in great condition, a half price offer would be too good for me to pass up. And yeah the translucent red you mentioned doesn't look too bad on the Warwick.

5. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Yeah from pictures it looks in great condition. In the UK these retail at £1300 though i think you can get them for £1060 some places. The guy is asking £625 which isn't quite half price but pretty good anyway!

6. hey- i know the feeling, its like a wee pot o' gold when a realisticly affordable bargain turns up! Snap that Jazzman up if you can. I got a Warwick Thumb shipped from boston for £300 :)eek: ) just needed a little T.L.C. now its MY baby!!!