Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Refitting Peavey 2x15, what spkrs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ldervish, Sep 5, 2005.

1. ldervish

ldervish

May 22, 2005
    Johnson City, TN
    OK guys, I need some help picking speakers to put into a Peav 2x15 cab I bought yesterday. The cabinet itself is in great shape, but the original speakers had already been replaced, one with an Eminence 15FABABB 67-7112 (I don't know what this is, but I'm thinking it's something I won't want to keep, and the other was just junk. So I went searching here and after reading a few posts, went to Parts Express. I found some possibles, like Kappa 15A's and a couple Peaveys.

This cabinet is actually two 1x15's stacked, and by my calculation the volume of each is about 3.4 cuft including the port. The electronic connection is your basic parallel hookup, but it would not be any trouble to run another jack into the bottom and electrically separate the speakers if that would be advantageous. Soundwise, I'm open, just not bright. I can go either 8 or 4 ohm.

So, you guys know a lot more about this stuff than I do - what can I do to make the most out of this cab, with moderate $ and moderate effort?

2. How deep is it ?

there was a shallow one ( about 13" ) and a deep one (about 18") [in depth obviously]

I'd suggest peavey BW's just cus thats whats in mine, and they sound really nice, the cabs were all 4 ohm from what ive found out, but its your call :)

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Put in a couple Peavey Black Widows.

-Mike

4. ldervish

ldervish

May 22, 2005
    Johnson City, TN
    It's the shallower one, 13" deep.

I know the BW's have a good rep, and am thinking about those. I also like that they can be rebuilt in about two minutes if something real bad happened....but we won't go there!

Thanks for the input.

5. i think the BW's will still be fine in that, im 100% sure tho

6. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I had one I rebuilt with Scorpion+ 15's- ended up kinda boomy.

I'd vote for the BW's.

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I just installed a pair of Eminence Delta 400-A's in mine with excellent results.

8. ldervish

ldervish

May 22, 2005
    Johnson City, TN
    It really helps to get actual results, and options, although the BW seems to be running away with it (it IS a Peavey cab, after all).

Re: the Scorpion +, I noticed on the Parts Express "Pro Sound Speaker Selection Guide" that the only Scorpion they list is recommended for a SEALED enclosure approx. 20% larger than the 2x15 partition. I don't know if the undersize or the port in this cab would contribute to the boominess, but it might.

Thanks for all the opinions. Guess I'll going shopping now.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Correct. The BW's are what I put in my 215 cab, and I could not have been happier.

-Mike