1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Reflections on Music, Life, and "Beauty Gone Wild"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Indiedog, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Jam

Attached Files:

2. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Nice. I like it.
    The crowd noise is quite Frippian.

scaramousche and The Owl like this.
  3. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Wow, Rick, that is out there! What is the story behind it?

Thank you!

scaramousche likes this.
  4. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    from 2007 - real time improv - drums, bass/looper, guitar/looper ... and Gabriel (code for 420)

scaramousche, The Owl and Indiedog like this.
  5. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Innovative stuff there, JIO! I like the wild feel of it all. The horns sound somewhat like the Tibetan horns the monks play. The crowd sounds are a cool element. The only thing I am not thrilled about it is the bass is at too low of a volume. You are doing some cool things there and I want to hear it better.

Thank you!

scaramousche, JIO and The Owl like this.
  6. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Thank you! A little audio verite' can be a fun thing to blend in. Fripp's "Exposure" lp had tons of it.

Indiedog and scaramousche like this.
  7. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    This was the last recording we made from that project and it's last cut (#17) on CD 1 of the 2 CD set we produced. It's why I called it "Full Stop". (CD 2 has only 6 songs) It was all live improv with no overdubs. There were some minor overdubs on the CD 2 songs and some tweaking/editing in the mixing/mastering, but mostly it went down as it happened. I only was a consultant for the final versions, and for the most part I trusted Konstantine as he's a sonic-scientist. (still works for Avid, Digi-design at the time; ProTools etc)

I found the cool picture for the CD cover (as is) - it's a microphone testing room and the layered panels in the background are thick felt. I know someone who was actually in that space. (can't recall where it is/was) Apparently it was completely devoid of ambient sound - the quietest place on earth. It was perfect with the 3 superimposed ears as we were a trio. The strange sphere image was printed on the 2 CD's full size. KGK stands for Konstantine/Geo/Kenn, and with Konstantine being from Moscow, it had the KGB reference. All in all, something straight out of Eraserhead, and the guy at the mic could be young DL himself!

fullsizeoutput_1280.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    scaramousche, Indiedog and The Owl like this.
  8. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Very, very cool! I love the cover photo! What a fantastic place that must be (have been)! And absolutely, the chap in the photo could pass for David Lynch.

I very much enjoy the live improv approach. I bet our Pacifica pal Rick R ("Mr. Improv") liked the CD.

scaramousche, The Owl and JIO like this.
  9. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    I don't think he's heard it yet. We had a number of units made and split 3 ways. Konstantine and I gave away all of ours (I have only one copy) and Kenn has a small stock of his so we'll have to see if we can get a few from him since he's sitting on them.

10. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Finally had some time to hear the improv pieces.

JIO, very unusual and intriguing sonic textures (like the horns!), the overall vibe made me think that it would be perfect for a modern day suspense/thriller film. Very impressive.

Rick, definitely liked Pocket That Per Diem! What an amazing instance of chaos and whimsy combining themselves. I wonder if it eventually became a full blown song or stayed as an open platform for an inspired group improv.

scaramousche, JIO and Indiedog like this.
  11. Hey Indie and Mr. Owl

Sorry, i have been so in absentia here.

What happened is, we had the first album done and had about 40 minutes of music ready for the tour. We of course, just wanted to play the stuff that was on the album. We didn't have the time to go back to the older material and resurrect better versions of it. So we opened for a lot of acts and 40 minutes was fine, including Hot Tuna, Foreigner, Rick Derringer, Stomu Yamashta, Larry Coryell, Gata Babieri and some others I don't recall. However, we didn't really have an encore or anything. So the guys decided they really wanted to use a simple two chord progression so they didn't have to think about much and we could just let it rip. "Pocket That Per Diem" was a sentimental show for us - it was in Williamsburg, Virginia and our long-term booking agent Kathie Moore was in the audience - in fact - it was the first time she had seen us. The time thing got kind of hypnotic after a while - even though it's in 7/8 because of where we put the stutters it's a toe tapper on the upbeat - if you like that sort of thing.

All I can find is another version of it we called "Basic Urges" when we played it at Stonybrook in New York opening for Foreigner. It's a really rough board tape and the guitar is REALLY loud so I hesitate to post it here.

12. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Very cool, Rick. It is a great contrast to the approach the band had for the majority of a concert and I can tell it went over very well. To me, that is a great way to make improvs really special (not do too many). I love how the name changed each time.

I think I understand what you mean about the “stutters” but how would you describe that approach to 7/8 time?

What a cool “Improv” theme here recently! Thanks to all!

scaramousche and The Owl like this.
  13. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Reminds me a bit of my Insect Affect days where we did at least 1 improv piece per show. Much fun.

Indiedog, scaramousche and JIO like this.
  14. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    I love playing music with others - whether following a set format or 'winging' it. I feel when you are closest to those you play with, that's when really good freeform music can happen, sometimes spontaneously! :bassist:

Indiedog, scaramousche and The Owl like this.
  15. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Indeed, the last actual live band I ever played in, Burgess Penguin was all improv. What a blast. Here is "Akron Needs Tires"

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  16. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    cool! :cool: There's a tb thread about jamming/improv music. Most musicians avoid it like the plague and some mock those who divulge. I've always assumed it was an integral part of music (with a capital M) and since the musicians I felt strongest about played some version of improv really well, I also felt it was at the pointy end of the calling. I would never feel comfortable saying I have played, or can play jazz (maybe accidentally...) but I am always open to explore improv and feel very comfortable doing so.

17. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I LOVE the very idea of improvisation and creating on the fly. The only things that gall me are

1) Overlong/self indulgent screeching noise posing as music making delivered with a snooty elitist attitude. When I had Burgess Penguin, we strove to self edit and be aware of things like dynamics and not go over long on each piece. Not sure what our success rate was but we did try.

2) Jazz snobs who insist that only accomplished jazz musicians can and should improvise. Personally I'm of the mind that improv can occur in nearly any musical environment.

Also, I look at improvisation and soloing as 2 entirely different things/ideas. For me, improv aims at creating a musical idea with depth and form in real time.

Soloing, while done by a thoughtful musician with great ego control can be wonderful, but done by someone with an ego driving them, yikes!

18. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    My comedy fix for the day

scaramousche likes this.
  19. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Couldn't agree more! :thumbsup:

20. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    "m..my doctor said I can't have bullets enter my body at any time..."