1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Reflections on Music, Life, and "Beauty Gone Wild"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Indiedog, Jul 14, 2015.

1. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    More thoughts on improvising - I feel what creates the framework/foundation for fruitful improvisation with others is listening and sensing when not to play. Like Miles talking about the importance of empty spaces in an extrapolation, which he gleaned from Stockhousen. It's hard not to overplay because you don't have a set parameter, so it becomes an intuitive discipline to choose what you play, how you play, and when not to play - based on what is being played. It should result in a lively conversation between players and if overheard by an audience, should be engaging enough to hold their attention. Sorta like My Dinner With Andre.

Indiedog, The Owl and scaramousche like this.
  2. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Wish I could've hired the Brecker Bros to play on this one. In any case, this combination of music and words concerns Irwin Allen, AKA The Master of Disaster. Looking to add Rhodes, vocals, ARP Strings and virtual brass to complete it.

Recycled Disaster Ahead

V1) Quiet on the set
    When the Master's making home movies
    Competing with Batman
    Up the ante on the camp

V2) Recycle that stock footage
    Recycle those inexpensive monsters
    Ray's dinosaurs at your service
    Cyclops and bees, effects on the cheap

CHORUS:
    Getting all kinds of mileage
    From that stock footage
    Getting all kinds of mileage
    From that old Univac
    Irwin Allen's mastered his disasters
    All the way to the bank

V3) Sardonic robot
    Abbot and Costello
    Insults and treachery for days
    Danger danger everywhere
    From those cheap special effects

V4) Hurling through the tunnel
    And the suits are still new
    Can't change history to save their lives
    But lets try it anyway

V5) Natural or man-made
    There's gold in them there disasters
    Effects cost more to look realistic
    But the stories stay the same

Attached Files:

JIO, scaramousche and Indiedog like this.
  3. So much lovely stuff shared recently! The improvisation discussion, sparkled by the excellent Pocket That Per Diem, is thought-provoking. A curious approach I've come across is a system called Present Time Composition (PTC), developed by Alan Bern, an American who lives and teaches in Germany. It sets a number of rules applied by musicians improvising a piece (e.g. "no matter how many musicians there are, only two can play at the same time", or "when you come in, do the opposite of what the current soloist is doing" etc.). The rules can be picked and mixed. It's quite a complex and engaging approach, and the great thing about it is that you can keep its principles in mind even when you're not specifically doing PTC. One of its core ideas is to keep thinking like a composer all the time, as opposed to thinking like a soloist.

I liked the jams by KGK and Burgess Penguin. And Mr Owl, I think "Sense of Rumor" and "Recycled Disaster" are a great pair of tracks, very cohesive in style. I'd agree with Indie that the love of 80s-era Crimson shines through, which I think is a good thing.

Speaking of Crimson, the price of tickets in Warsaw turned out to be insane (upwards of €160), so we chose to go to Berlin instead. Three times as cheap, and the concert is going to be in Zitadelle Spandau, which is a late 16th century island fortress. How cool is that?

In the spirit of sharing work in progress: yesterday we finished tracking a big chunk of guitars for a piece from my band's upcoming second album, and I feel pretty excited about it. There's obviously much mixing and tidying up still to be done, but it's getting close to the shape I like.
    (The name Think as a Crab is an anagram of Banach-Tarski, as in the joke "Q: What's an anagram of Banach-Tarski? A: Banach-Tarski Banach-Tarski". It's a mathematical paradox that says you can disassemble one sphere and reassemble its pieces to create two spheres identical to the original. Apparently it can't be done in real life, although I have observed a very similar phenomenon when brushing a large Bernese Mountain dog. You end up with what looks like two dogs afterwards... :woot:)

edit: had to reupload the track because I messed up and picked the wrong file

Attached Files:

JIO, Indiedog and The Owl like this.
  4. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    So glad you guys are liking my works in progress so far. It means a lot to me.

Haven't got music for this fragment of an idea yet (save for a little slide guitar thing) but hopefully something will take shape soon, maybe a song about Ursine/human relations. :D

Bears Make Better Neighbors

Making friends with the bears
    Friendly game of Pente
    Salmon's on the grill

V1)

Not sure exactly when
    The growling started turning to words
    There was something in the air
    That wasn't intended for us.
    Everything changed slow and awkwardly
    But no one took credit or blame.

And something to evoke a certain time period.

They were circled downstairs
    Bowling to the Brecker Brothers

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    scaramousche and Indiedog like this.
  5. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    What a great post! You summarized the recent posts very well and i really like the idea of these Improv "rules."

Thank you!

I am hoping to catch Crimson in San Francisco. It will be a marvelous show.

JIO and scaramousche like this.
  6. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    When?

Indiedog likes this.
  7. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    This is a song that was recorded many years ago w/o a bass track by my friend Konstantine and a few years ago he asked if I would be interested in dubbing in a bass-line of my choice. ! (of course) Once I heard it a few times, I channeled my inner Tony Levin and cut loose!

Indiedog, scaramousche and The Owl like this.
  8. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    :thumbsup: What's the name of your band? You'll have to link to your new recording when it's in the can.

Indiedog and scaramousche like this.
  9. Thank you JIO! I will. The band's called La Horsa Bianca, as seen on my sig (or, if you are viewing TB on a mobile device, as not seen on my sig :whistle:)

I think the bassline on Floatation Device serves the track excellently.

Indiedog and JIO like this.
  10. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Doh! Yes.., if it were a snake... cool music! (and artwork!) I see you use the Mel9 - it's a more recent pedal for me. I use it for bass on one song in a trio I play with and otherwise TSC's keyboardist uses it on a couple of our songs. (2000 Light Years From Home, Windmills of Your Mind) A really cool tool!

Indiedog and scaramousche like this.
  11. Thank you! The artwork I'm quite happy with. It's a product of a sleepless night when I sat down with scissors, glue, a bunch of magazines and paint and no initial idea at all of what I was going for. "The more I look at it... the more I like it"

Mel9 is really cool indeed, it's the closest I could get to having something physical with a Mellotron sound. However, after playing around with it a bunch with different instruments I realized I prefer to drive it with keyboards instead of guitars or bass. Much more control over the sound, and you can dial in some really interesting random flutter. On the first record I'm driving the Mel9 parts with a Yamaha Reface YC organ, on the current one I switched to using a basic poly sawtooth on the Korg Minilogue.
    The most fun sound on the Mel9 is the brass with the attack turned way down, which turns it into a reverse tape sample. Add polyphony and/or extra vibrato or LFO on the sound source and you quickly end up in super weird territory :smug:

Indiedog, The Owl and JIO like this.
  12. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    I agree - it's better for keys and I can see how it would be cool with brass. It works good on the song I use it on (w/bass on #7-brass setting) because I can make it surge by pushing the string more forcefully, or keep it more restrained by a softer touch. It's very elastic in this way and becomes more expressive.

The Owl, Indiedog and scaramousche like this.
  13. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Ah, the ever-elusive Mellotron sounds.
    I've been smitten for decades. It got worse when my I moved in with a roommate in 1980 that had a Steinway, an ARP 2600, and a Mellotron 400D.

Nowadays I have several different and quite good approximations on my various Korg and Roland synths. I never tire of 'trons.

I'd like to try the Mel9 sometime though to check out its approach.

Last night I attended a wonderful house concert by Lisa Lynne and Aryeh Frankfurter
    Lisa Lynne & Aryeh Frankfurter

They are harpists/multi-instrumentalists and very talented. It was so nice to be in such an intimate performance space. It was very motivating and uplifting.

JIO, The Owl and scaramousche like this.
  14. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Oh, by the way, Mr. Owl, Aryeh is a big fan of Swedish folk music and he described the somewhat surreal environment in a barn-dance for the locals. he referred to their odd, hunched over dancing as if they were "dancing bears."

The Owl likes this.
  15. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    vintage-dancing-bears-edward-fielding.

scaramousche and Indiedog like this.
  16. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Yup. Those are the ones. ;)

The Owl likes this.
  17. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I didn't think these lyrics would develop as quickly as they did, so here you go

CIRCLED UP BOWLING

CHORUS:

They were circled downstairs
    Bowling to the Brecker Brothers
    Wondering if they were all alone
    Or if in parallel there were others

V1)

They'd sneak up on a question
    Some say it was just dumb luck
    Talk about the miracle pills
    Mix with water, power a truck
    Wondered if the moon was real at all
    Aliens showing slides in the sky?
    Was the bear awake or hibernating
    Could they drive home on the sly.

V2)

One wanted to boogie for days
    And then promptly forgot it
    Randy's trumpet cutting through the haze
    Not one of them fought it
    Another says he could talk to squids
    And was craving some calamari
    Pizza would suffice, we're not on the skids
    But the burgers are double scary

V3)
    When the skunk got the funk
    It dropped their collective jaws
    No time for cut-rate junk
    Stay out of reach of the bear's paws
    Watching the basement door for a surprise
    One of the unpleasant kind
    Parents and police with hyperfocused eyes
    More than a pinch they'll find

BRIDGE

Don't laugh too loud
    Either its a bust
    Or the Breckers skip the best part

18. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Thought you might like this

19. A little update....

Howdy Folks...

So sorry that I haven't had time to keep up with all the postings here. Glad to see that things seem to move forward nicely without me. The good news is that I finally passed that confounded kidney stone last week and sent it off to the lab for analysis. I can't tell you what a relief it is. Thankfully, not much pain when it exited, but I was so sick of having attacks when I least expected them. Feeling SO much better!

I kind of took Indie's advice and decided to take a stab at writing a book. I found a theme that made sense to me. While it's going well, it's a lot of emotional ups and downs re-living my life - and pretty much all-consuming. I started by copying all of my posts from here, and then have spent forever and a day trying to sort them and get them in some semblance of an order. Then, I have to connect the dots, fill in the gaps and do the editing. It's a pretty huge job, turns out. I suppose it's borderline obsessive at this point and I spend all my spare time working on it. So apologies to all for being in absentia.

At the same time, lots of movement in the Happy the Man area, so that has also been taking up a lot of time. News to come. Also, working hard on the mix for the Prunestoon, I have to see how it travels, hopefully I am there with the mix I cranked out yesterday.

Just spoke to Keith and it turns out the Les Paul bass developed a finish problem:

20180328_152825.

There were some rough sandpaper-like areas under the bridge. Keith kept an eye on it for a few days and it started happening to the back of the guitar as well. Keith called Paul Slagle who sprayed the nitro and he told him to drop it off for him. Paul has had it for a few months. He resprayed the nitro topcoat, the color is fine not to worry - but he wanted to keep it for a while to keep an eye on it. He is satisfied that all is well now, so Keith is going to pick it up tomorrow. No one knows, but it might have been a weird reaction between the nitro and the particular poly that Pat Wilkins originally used, hopefully all is well. Also, Keith inherited a drum sander, and he was able to get a nice ebony top and back for a new project out of the ebony I left for him. I am stoked about that.

So happy Sunday, I hope everyone is laughing a lot and enjoying life.

20. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Hey Rick!

Welcome back! So glad to hear that kidney stone mercifully exited.

Wow, you have been busy between the book forming, tracking down the HTM tapes and a Les Paul style bass taking shape. Looking forward to all the latest developments.

Happy to report that pain med use is now very infrequent and I've exceeded my goal for range of motion in my left leg. Next frontier to conquer is getting strength back for normal walking, could take a while but I'm very determined.

Having a blast coming up with more tuneage of late, made some progress on "Bears Make Better Neighbors" last night. Not sure what to do musically with "Circled Up Bowling" yet but I'm sure an idea will hit me at 3am.

In a couple weeks I'll be DJing for some ballroom dancers, it'll be fun seeing them waltz to Kate Bush or Happy The Man,(Carousel) west coast swing to Steely Dan and more. :D

Hope y'all are having a great Sunday so far.

Indiedog, BassHappy and JIO like this.