1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Reflections on Music, Life, and "Beauty Gone Wild"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Indiedog, Jul 14, 2015.

1. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I'd dance to KB any day!

Indiedog and The Owl like this.
  2. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Army Dreamers and Ran Tan Waltz are great fun for that.

JIO and Indiedog like this.
  3. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    What a frustration that the Les Paul bass has those issues. I hope that can be rectified quickly and easily. But very cool Keith was able to work with the ebony chunk you had.

The Happy the Man movement is intriguing. I look forward to some good news when you can publicly spill the beans. That is also very cool to hear that you might have a good mix on the PrunesToon.

But by far, the best news is that you have passed that darn stone! Woo hoo! I am very pleased to hear that. Time to get back to FULL-Normal.

Naturally, I am very pleased to hear you are so focused on the book. That makes me very happy. I know what you mean about the ups and downs of reliving the past. I spent two months working on the essay for the wife of my late, best friend from high school and I was in an odd place the entire time. It was intense to look at the period of time from 9th grade to after college. Perhaps the weirdest thing was all the synchronicities that occurred when writing. It was downright weird at times. The past isn't dead and sometimes, isn't really in the past at all.

BassHappy, scaramousche and The Owl like this.
  4. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Fun flashback #23, getting this Magnus organ for Christmas @ age 7.

To put it mildly, it sounded like a cheap accordion with a blower motor :roflmao: aviary-image-1552534297174.

JIO, BassHappy and Indiedog like this.
  5. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Oh yeah, I have intimate knowledge of that particular beast. My friend had one in the early 80's and I was known to pull the most dissonant, odd sounds from the thing (the chord buttons allow for some very evil cacophony).

JIO, BassHappy and The Owl like this.
  6. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    I bought a Lowery home organ at a thrift store and used it with a band of improvers I played with in the 90's. We called it "The Throbbing Organ" and actually carted it to a couple of live shows! We'd weight keys and trap strange passages on Digitech Delay pedals (2 and 8 sec) letting them drone some obtuse pattern behind what we were playing. I had lots of cassette tapes of our sessions and listened to them all before moving a year ago, then threw them all away.

Indiedog and The Owl like this.
  7. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    And Mike Ratledge made excellent use of a Lowery organ during his Soft Machine days.

Indiedog and JIO like this.
  8. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Did not know that!

Indiedog likes this.
  9. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Simply because a Hammond was too expensive.

Indiedog likes this.
  10. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Awhile back I helped a friend pick up a Hammond B? - (the home console version) that he found on craigslist. It was listed for $75 with a couple issues. The guy was late getting there (his wife was there to let us in) and so he gave it to my friend for nothing, mainly because he was going to help carry it down a very long flight of outside hilly SF stairs. (think Laurel and Hardy and the piano) The two of us somehow got it down the stairs (very heavy) and into my van and to his garage-studio. He knows electronics so he sorted it w/o much trouble and it sounds great! A guy down the street made his own rotating speaker and sold it to him for next to nothing so now he has that too. Hammond on a budget! :)

scaramousche, The Owl and Indiedog like this.
  11. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    What a great catch. Being in the right place at the right time (and with a few burly guys) can mean carting home a true prize.

The home made Les**e speaker sounds very intriguing. The real thing sure is a classic for organ and for other instruments (and even voices). I remember how fascinated I was to see that horn spinning slowly, speed up,and brake in response to the needs of the music.

But yeah, the classics are the Hammond, the Farfisa, and the Vox. The Lowrys were there too but those top three saw most action. They are magnificent instruments and are the foundation for so many great recordings. But oh my, pity the person moving the big ones.

A great modern approach that is easier to tote and covers the whole range is the Nord C2d. It is a double manual, has all three organs, and tosses in an excellent church organ. It has actual drawbars. My friend bought one for his daughter. I have sat down with it. The big red thing is very impressive.

scaramousche and The Owl like this.
  12. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    When I first started seeing/hearing bands in the late 60's I saw a few that lugged B-3's on stage, and I too loved the rotating speakers spinning like you described. And these were local bands at our High School! Even saw a Mellotron back then and the player showed me the tape reals inside - what a complicated contraption! The BL of the High School combo (we never said "band" or "quartet" - it was a combo!) I played in had a Vox Continental w/a double keyboard. It was pretty much top-of-the-line then.

When I was looking for a keyboard for TSC's, I checked out the Nord but it was out of my price range. I see many bands using them. The Roland (VR-09-B) I decided on is a great keyboard with tons of voicing options. And it's lightweight and portable - a very sophisticated instrument!

Indiedog, scaramousche and The Owl like this.
  13. I feel you for Nord not being in the price range. Roland's organs are ill-spoken of in some circles, but I too have opted for Roland — the VK-8M organ module — to replace the 80-pound German Vermona we're using. The curious thing about VK-8M is that it can support two manuals, so I'm building it into a single-unit lightweight double manual organ:
    [​IMG]
    It's based on two chopped up MIDI keyboards, the Roland, and a custom aluminum/plywood/wooden frame.
    The main part still under construction: the controller that will route MIDI from two keyboards into the module and modify them on the way. Also, staining the wooden sides and adding a top decorative panel :D
    Right now the whole thing needs to use a computer between the keyboards and the organ module, but the goal is to have a small independent Arduino-based brain housed inside the frame for that. If that fails, a Raspberry Pi-based brain.
    I call it the Rol-Yer-Own-110, after a Tull song (which is, in a way, about electric organs).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 4:17 AM
    JIO and The Owl like this.
  14. Hey Folks

Just poking my head in here. I decided to post a couple of the Dan Owen songs that we worked on in 1983-84. This trio started out as Dan on guitars and keys, and Mike Beck on drums. However Mike had to drop out and return to Fort Wayne. We replaced him with one of David Rosenthal's childhood friends, Mike Kaplan on drums and in this song he is also playing the vibes solo. Yes, it's real vibes. While there is nothing progressive at all about these songs, it will give you a great idea of the power in Dan's voice and of his superb songwriting. They are straight ahead pop with no apologies.

Remember, this was recorded on the Tascam 4-track cassette machine 25 years ago now, with all Radio Shack mics and mixer. Not more than a half dozen people have ever heard these songs, because Dan wasn't happy with his vocals. Silly man. Indie, I know this style of music is likely not your thing, but I hope you enjoy. Some minor time issues with Kaplan's groove too, you just have to look the other way.

So sorry if the train pulled out too soon.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 5:38 PM
  15. I discretely decided to post the other four songs here, they will be easier to delete in a day or two. I am likely in some trouble if certain folks find out I did this. These are very close to my heart. What a voice! Dan wrote all these songs when we lived together in the Katonah New York house. Remember, these were only meant to be quick demos and were done on a shoestring budget

Sorry if you missed these.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 6:00 PM
    Indiedog and scaramousche like this.
  16. Here is Dan singing lead on an Anthony Phillips tune, Anthony was one of the original guitar players in "Genesis". Sorry, it's the whole album, Dan's debut is at around 4:48 with "I Want Your Love". As a side note, he hated his vocal on this song too. Lyrics all by Ant and Dan wasn't used to singing someone else's song. Sadly, this is the only full blown studio song Dan ever sang on.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 6:56 AM
  17. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Lyrics are in development, but here's the very basic tracks for " Bears Make Better Neighbors"

Attached Files:

Indiedog and scaramousche like this.
  18. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Rick, just beginning to listen to the Dan Owen demos, hard to believe that was done on a 4 track cassette machine, beautifully done.

Dan has got himself a serious set of pipes. I for one liked his singing on that Ant Phillips track. Dan must be such a perfectionist that it prevents him from being more known and appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 11:18 AM
    BassHappy, Indiedog and scaramousche like this.
  19. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    I love your ingenuity and artistic flair! Very cool project that will lead to a gig-friendly instrument! :thumbsup:

scaramousche likes this.
  20. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Thank you for the wonderful treat of those Dan demos! They sound great for their tech level. Very professional. And a true insight to his voice, his writing, and overall scope. I cannot thank you enough.

His voice is so expressive and pure. I have always been a big Ant Phillips fan (even the "pop" tunes like this). The control he has and that pure sound are on display in this because of the fairly high production values on that record. (There some great instrumentals on this album by the way).

EDIT: I missed the first tune ("Shakin' it Up") on my first run. It is very enjoyable...great melody and rhythm, superb vibes solo, and yes, his vocals are simply lovely. His multiple overdubs really work well. Not everyone's voice lends itself to that but he really had a flair for knowing what works.

But he really was/is harsh on himself, isn't he? A shame. He has such a glorious voice.

Hey JIO: yes, I was astounded even back in the day how many "high school bands" had big organs and Leslie speakers. The Nords truly are spendy. Your Roland punches far above its weight class. Its a perfect 'board.

And Scaramouche, your project is fantastic! I love it. Thank you for your insights. You too Mr. Owl. You both add a lot 'round here.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 10:23 PM
    BassHappy, scaramousche and The Owl like this.