1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reflections on Music, Life, and "Beauty Gone Wild"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Indiedog, Jul 14, 2015.

1. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Today I think I'll take a shot at organ and 'Tron brass tracks for Phone Call. Not very technically demanding parts so I should be able to pull it off.

Very happy with the new keyboard and so far, no latency issues.

BassHappy and Indiedog like this.
  2. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    From the viewpoint of him being your client, it is probably good he decided to go another route. But from the "Enquiring minds Want To Know" standpoint, I am disappointed; I had hoped we all would get some insight through him/through you.

And hey, I TRY to be open-minded but I well-know how hard that is for a human. We all have biases. I probably am more suspicious than even-minded about fancy cables making a difference.

I think we are all quite good about entertaining other people's biases here on this thread. We have discussed some controversial things over the years and I sense we always been honest yet kind.

That's the way Life is supposed to be. :)

BassHappy, The Owl and JIO like this.
  3. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    BassHappy likes this.
  4. Yeah, cables have to be the most polarized hot button topic around. I read about a high end audiophile I respect who found heavy duty extension cords at his local hardware store for like 12 bucks and he uses that cable for speaker cable - because it's pure copper, more heavily insulated, and so much cheaper, and to him - better - than big gauge lamp cord type speaker wire.

What I hear is that if you move to say 10 gauge wire over 12 gauge wire, you get a definite increase in low mids and bottom end, but it comes at the expense of what is hitting the tweeter. So you kind of have to find a balance with the gauge you select. Bigger is not necessarily better, and that is what the more expensive cables apparently do. They are multi-stranded with different gauges internally, to allow all the frequencies to pass at approximately the same time and the same level. BS? Perhaps. I have also heard of guys I respect using Romex wire like what is in the walls of your house for speaker wire. So who knows.

I do use high quality guitar cables, but I don't spend $200 bucks each on them. I have always been pretty happy with the ProCo stuff for my guitar cables. My current speaker cables are Canare and I aways hear great things about Mogami which is expensive and hard to work with. You have to DIY and build your own with Mogami and the wire is thin and it's easy to melt the inner insulation. Although a quick check on Amazon, and you can now buy Mogami cables pre made, looks mostly like with unrepairable molded jacks though.

ProCo vs Mogami and Canare Snakes - Gearslutz

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Indiedog likes this.
  5. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Emerged fron the cave very happy, keyboard tracks all done for Phone Call. Mixing today.

Indiedog and BassHappy like this.
  6. So I laid out the new speaker configuration and I realized that I ran out of desk real estate. My producer desk is 6' wide, this is the one I have, but I removed the top shelf so it's a flat surface:

61IOt9+Tn0L._SL1000_.

I have about 8" on either side that I could expand so I was thinking of just making or buying a nice wider 7' top for it. However, that is a bit extreme, and expensive, so as a fall back measure, and at Leah's prodding I ordered a couple of these stands:

61aWP4F4u7L._SL1500_.

I have exactly 30" in height from floor to the top of the desk and they are height adjustable. They will also hold speakers up to 90 lbs and the pair was only $50 bucks, much cheaper than a new work surface. It's going to be really close, I may need two sets of the stands in order to get everything exactly where I need it, but that is no big deal. If i find out I need more space front to back, I can fashion a cherry board on each side - and mount it to the stands on the plates on each side - which will serve as a pretty nifty wholesale table extension. Leah is already talking table cloth/cover so that would hide the seam and I could just make a quick shelf out of plywood if it's not going to be seen.

The IsoAcoustics would extend just a few inches past the edges of the desk, from what I can see in my drawings, so the stands would only be used for additional support, and so I can get the placement exactly right. Getting the bases situated and tucked in under the desk in a small space, may be an additional challenge, we will see.

If anyone has any comments or ideas, I am all ears.

The Owl and Indiedog like this.
  7. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks for the link to the GearSlutz thread about the cables. I started reading.

I think your idea for amending the studio desk sounds very workable. Of course, the best thing would be to fly MapleGlo out to your place and let her fabricate something that is perfect. :)

I do this sort of thing often...using old stands or storage units to function as higher-price stuff. Bricks or cinder blocks have been known to make appearances.

When you don't know the rules, it is way easier to break them. ;)

BassHappy likes this.
  8. Welcome to my obsession of the moment.

Rough speaker plot showing the triangles. Not all will quite be equilateral, but what can you do? Might have to juggle them around a bit depending on which ones become the main "go-to's". Also can move the chair forward and back and that should help.

Looks like I will be alright with just one set of stands to extend the table. That is good news.

Speaker-Config.

Indiedog likes this.
  9. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    That looks doable to me. As you say, knowing that you might switch them around once your preferences become apparent gives you flexibility.

BassHappy likes this.
  10. Like a big jigsaw puzzle really.

Indiedog and The Owl like this.
  11. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Believe me, I understand that!

Yesterday I was talking to a local guy about his CL ad for a very tall rack unit (about 6' tall!) that I considered. It would be cool to be able to rack everything finally (as opposed to 3/4 of my stuff being racked and the rest sitting on top of the case). But the amount of work to haul everything out and reset yet again is too much jigsaw puzzling methinks.

BassHappy likes this.
  12. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    VICTORY IS MINE!!!!! :D

Much to my amazement I managed to mix 5 out of the 6 songs. Here is Phone Call (With A Chance of Sand), from the cave to you. 2019-06-06-18-27-27.

Attached Files:

BassHappy likes this.
  13. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Very fun! Sounds great. I really like how things develop after the "howl" (around the 3 minute mark). The blend of the elements sits very nicely and i really like the electric guitar work.

The drummer: using rods possibly? It is a softer sound that sticks but not quite brushes...
    Let me know.

Thank you!

(Hey, is the "View Counter" accurate? Often when I listen to a track it doesn't update the listen count, even when I close out and come back in.)

The Owl likes this.
  14. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Not sure if its rods or brushes on the drums. The drummers identity is unknown, it came out of my loop library.

In any case glad you like the tune, was definitely going for that lonely desert vibe. The electric guitar solo was a first take totally off the cuff. Just my Strat with the neck pickup with a Fender Twin amp model dialed in.

Indiedog likes this.
  15. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Just heard Dr John passed away. Always loved this song since it was an AM radio hit

Indiedog and JIO like this.
  16. Very cool! I enjoyed the tune Mr. Owl. It's a really cool combination of familiar elements and unusual elements. I always enjoy that sort of thing. Not easy to pull that off. Modern but somehow retro at the same time. I don't know if you are into Hatfield and North, but at times it seems to weave in and out of that kind of vibe.

Just curious, are you a big Zappa fan perchance? I may have missed it but I don't recall you mentioning it. Hearing some Zappa spirit in there too!

Indiedog and The Owl like this.
  17. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Thank you so much Rick! Glad you liked and really enjoyed your comments!

LOVE Frank Zappa! Got turned onto him in 9th grade with the Apostrophe album, been a fan ever since. Love Hatfield & the North and the whole Canterbury thing in general as well. Prog that had a high level of musicianship yet didn't take itself so damned seriously.

And as you've probably guessed, I love highly unusual subject matter for lyrics. I first heard about the Mojave phone booth back in the late 90's. The stories surrounding it would fill a book and boy are they entertaining!

Mojave phone booth - Wikipedia

18. The Big Announcement....

I have been working on this for over a year and a half. On friday we closed a deal and received the executed agreements from Sony for the two Arista Happy the Man albums. We will be able to release our own versions of both albums, and we won't have to pay an override to Sony. Woo-friggin-hoo! We had to sign a confidentiality agreement as part of the deal, so I can't discuss the nuts and bolts. Suffice it to say we will be in charge of our own destiny on those two albums for the next five years.

The good news is that both albums will be re-mastered under the watchful ear of Ken Scott, using his go-to mastering engineer, Ray Staff at Air London studios. Ray is semi-retired and a super nice guy who has us on the schedule for July 9th. He has mastered everything from Led Zeppelin to David Bowie and Supertramp. We are so lucky to have him involved!

So for the first time ever, the tracks will sound the way they were originally intended, when recorded at A&M Studio D and Chateau Recorders in LA. Well, let's just say, if they don't sound the way Ken intended, Ken won't put his seal of approval on the masters, so finger's crossed. There was a lot of back and forth and there is a huge back story, but now that the agreement is signed, I can't go into the details.

We are also working on a boxed set deal with a label in Germany, which would be a four or five album package. Fingers crossed on that too.

I have also been approved for my re-fi on the house, pending the appraisal. That is a huge relief too.

Happy sunday. It's almost like Christmas around here.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Indiedog, JIO, scaramousche and 2 others like this.
  19. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Looking forward to hearing the remastered discs!

20. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Woo hoo, indeed! I am so excited to hear this, Rick! It will be so cool to hear the new re-masters! I hope there is some decent publicity for it so everyone knows and buys. And a box set too (Germany)? Way cool.

And congrats on the re-fi too! That really is great.

BassHappy likes this.