1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reflections on Music, Life, and "Beauty Gone Wild"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Indiedog, Jul 14, 2015.

1. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    WOWZERS!! Great news all the way around. Congrats on your re-fi. I bet you and Leah are relieved.

An HTM box set would be amazing, and having Ken and Ray remix/remaster the 2 Arista albums would be wonderful indeed.

Indiedog and BassHappy like this.
  2. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    For the first time in years I went back and listened to ELP's Welcome Back My Friends--. Still enjoy it, amazing too for the fact there are ZERO overdubs.

Man, Greg Lake had a seriously lethal bass rig back then, Crown power amps totaling 2000 watts and those monstrous JBL cabs and horns.

Indiedog likes this.
  3. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    I have always been a fan. They were so good live. They were one of the bands that really pushed the boundaries of live sound. I so miss Lake and Emo. Gone far too early.

The Owl likes this.
  4. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Indeed. Nearly forgot about the quadrophonic sound system they used on that tour.

Indiedog likes this.
  5. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Even more fun in the cave today, nearly done with the CD cover (some do still buy discs I guess), nothing fancy or ornate but it does just fine. Just printed out the copyright forms to fill out. And did a last minute addition to "Off The Rails", an angry steam whistle blast underneath a vocal passage in the last verse. :D

Indiedog likes this.
  6. HADESTOWN

Much to Leah's dismay at times, I am not a musical theater guy - I'm just not. It's not in my personality and it's sad for Leah at times, because we are so close to Broadway. Joe Bergamini of Happy the Man has been featured in probably a dozen Broadway musicals and I have never seen any of the plays he has performed in.

But I will say this, and it's suddenly a rather interesting side note.

Ani signed Anais Mitchell to Righteous Babe Records and supported and promoted the original album version of "Hadestown" which was released in 2010. Ani even performed on the album. Well, last night "Hadestown" mopped up with 8 Tony awards, including "Best Musical", "Best Original Score", "Best Direction of a Musical", "Best Performance for an Actor", "Best Orchestrations", "Best Scenic Designs", "Best Sound Design", and "Best Lighting". Major kudos to Anais and the Hadestown team, suddenly these folks are the darlings of the press for Broadway 2019.

The interesting part of the story for me is this. Ani has been on tour, and Saturday night she had a major gig at the Winnipeg Folk Festival in Canada - but since bass player Todd was up for one of the Tony Award - she insisted that he go there to possibly claim his award. It's just the way she is wired. She played as a duo, guitar and drums, just like she did in the early days. Not one person complained, not even the bass players.

Then, sunday night in North Dakota, same deal. In the words of her beloved road manager Katie:

"Second night of the duo. Ani was feeling silly tonight. A lot of talking to the audience. She told them about Hadestown. And Todd winning a Tony. And announced in real time when Anais won best score."

Pretty damn cool - and what validation for Ani, an awesome artist who had the vision to recognize nearly 20 years ago, the special artistry in another person - a talented woman named Anais Mitchell.

Wow, just wow!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Indiedog and The Owl like this.
  7. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Excellent! When they are available please let us know so I can purchase one. :)

The Owl likes this.
  8. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Great stuff! That is just wonderful that she insisted Todd go to the Awards. She is a righteous babe!

Much to the chagrin of some of my rellies, I too am not exactly the biggest fan of musical theater.

My first was "A Chorus Line" at Christmas 1977. We were just pals at the time but the woman that eventually became my wife took me to see it when we were home for the XMAS break. It was much better than I expected (many called it the best ever). But for the longest time when people would suggest other plays/musicals I would say "but I have seen THE BEST...why do I need to see others?" LOL.

My mom was over the moon to take us to see Pirates of Penzance (with Linda R, Kevin Kline, etc.) but I was...just OK with it. I spent more time watching the drummer and percussionist in the pit than the action.

The Owl and BassHappy like this.
  9. I swapped out the Hollywood vid for Anais's acceptance speech, which I think is more appropriate.

10. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Will do, I'll post an announcement here before you know it. Looking at early July so far.

Indiedog likes this.
  11. Indiedog and The Owl like this.
  12. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    I was just reading that on a news site. What a shame!!!

13. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    What do you say when you read something like this - it reminds me of the words etched into the stone of a museum (in Chicago?, KC?, NYC? can't recall where) that read "MEN DIE - ART LIVES FOREVER" I think it was in the late 80's when I saw that, during the Reagan era and when nuclear tension was at an all time high with Russia. I thought, no.., when a nuclear holocaust happens - everything dies. The etched words most likely were more spiritually based - as in, the creative urge of humans is a continuum that spreads throughout the decades/centuries, through world turmoil like wars, famine etc. But even that would end if the powerful managers of the world order start the nuclear chain-reaction. Whoever said those words originally could not have known that eventually the human race would have the ability to end humanity. In the 'digital age' we now live in - the eventual wiping out of valuable information and documents seems inevitable orchestrated by the powerful yang of best interests/intentions/wishes. Things electronic are not 'forever'. With the world in general facing for-sure chaos and turmoil based on climate change that isn't being addressed - a story like this unfortunately is symbolic for our very near future.

addition:
    2018 saw the biggest increase in global CO2 emissions in seven years

Not just a matter of 'if' anymore - so for me it's an acceptance of sobering reality and a commitment to live as positive a life as possible in the interim.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    mapleglo and Indiedog like this.
  14. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Thermal runaway. I've seen this effect more and more through out my life. The first time I heard the term "thermal runaway", was when I was working in the consumer electronics industry. The engineers used the term to describe the nature of bi-polar transistors. The hotter they get under heavy loads, the more current they conduct, which in turn makes them hotter, which in turn causes them to conduct more current, until they melt. Unlike MOSFET transistors - as they get hotter, they conduct less current, allowing them to cool off. Self limiting.

I feel bad for future generations. Though I won't lie - I'm pretty happy that I'll likely be dead by the time the world gets too ugly. I have no desire to live through or during a climate apocalypse.

15. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    It's true - we here will all be stepping off the coil around the time it will be really bad. I keep hearing 30 years and with every year it will, like the term you describe - accelerate more dramatically. And I always thought the retirement years were supposed to be a reprieve from a hard life. :rolleyes: Chalk it up for another myth busted like "everyone can be a millionaire" or more laughingly that anyone growing up can be president! Oddly enough both myths and the one about a grand future are all propagated from the same source. I try to be optimistic but the realist in me thinks it's a bit late for everyone to be 'wising up' and actually doing something about it. I'm not going to turn into a libertarian because of it, in fact it will inspire more unity as we are all in the same boat - as in, do all we can to make our days as positive as possible.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    The Owl, mapleglo and Indiedog like this.
  16. The weird thing to me is that you see all of the weather patterns changing, with these strange, extreme events such as the record number of tornadoes, the fires out west, the record-breaking temperatures, especially down south and out west, the 100 year floods and even the hurricanes, volcanic eruptions, tsunami's - the list goes on and on. But folks seem to have gotten numb to it all and seem to accept it is as the new normal. That to me is the dangerous part. Some folks simply don't believe that anything strange is going on, or even worse, that nothing can be done about it. That part is frightening.

The ball is now in the court of the younger generation to try and pull the emergency cord pronto and sort this out. I am trying to remain optimistic and hopeful, but I struggle mightily with it.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Indiedog, The Owl and mapleglo like this.
  17. As far as the mundane goes, I had my appraisal yesterday and it was the same guy who had given me a favorable appraisal previously. We got along great and he was thrilled that the floor plan hadn't changed and he could simply pull up the older appraisal and update it - with all the improvements since then - and the new photos he took. Of course, with the addition of the new building, I should be well within the bank's limits. So we have a bottle of bubbly chilling.

Also Michael from Central Media dropped in yesterday afternoon to do an evaluation of the studio. He pulled both the Aguilar db680 and my Summit Audio limiter and took them to their shop to put them on the bench and see what is going on with them. He loved the monitor stand, and has a plan for removing the banana plugs on the existing speaker cables - and using them on the twist lock bare wire connectors for the 6 way switch. I was dreading the idea that we may have to rewire all the speakers, but it doesn't look like it. Thankfully, most of my speaker cables are 16 gauge wire, which is the perfect size for the twist lock connectors. Just pure luck there. He is a big fan of the twist locks, surprisingly - saying that there is nothing better than a bare wire connection. So we are starting in on monday morning and working until we are done. I am thrilled. It's not too bad, but I am also going to have him clean up the cable mess underneath and neatly organize and cable tie everything together. I don't anticipate any changes taking place in the racks, and pulled the Kurzweil micro piano out, I guess I will put that up for sale. The Ivory virtual pianos make it obsolete for me, they sound incredible.

So, I hope everyone is making some nice plans for the weekend. I left the studio operational, and I am attacking "Awake Spring Beauty". It's a working title for now. "Spring Beauty" is actually a flower - but Leah is not yet sure. It's got kind of a Clown Orchid feel which I really like. So far so good, had some magic appear and I am anxious to go back to it and get some more of the orchestration finalized.

Trying to wring every positive drop out of every day here, the quest continues....

The Owl, Indiedog and mapleglo like this.
  18. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    ^This.
    Well-stated. This also has me unnerved.

Glo's and JIO's posts were right on as well.

Humans have some wonderful tendencies but the one I will never, ever understand is the tendency to despoil what is essential to life. Put another way, we seem intent on s&*!!ing in our bed, our back yard, and in our drinking water. Will we never learn?

I am glad that the re-appraisal went well, Rick. I hope the Champagne needs to be deployed.

And I am very glad that your meeting with "Information Retrieval," oh, I mean "Central Media" went well. (Sorry, I recently watched "Brazil" which is one of my favorite black comedy films and "Central Media" sounds like one of the departments in that delightfully Dystopian Terry Gilliam film.) I am sure he will have great advice for you. That is great that the speaker wiring is already so close.

And it is always great that you are gunning for creating yet more magic with Leah ("Awake Spring Beauty").

Here's to wringing the magic out of every situation.

If we are well enough this weekend we are heading up to The Valley to help my mother-in-law celebrate her birthday. Every time I think I am coming out of it I do a simple task or two and then pay the price (exhaustion) for a day or two.

The Owl and BassHappy like this.
  19. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    reasons why (in a nutshell)

1) denial (mostly propaganda inspired created by corporations and the politicians they own)
    2) admitting it's a real problem means real $$$ will need to be appropriated/spent. (government $$$ = tax)
    3) religion ("end of days"/"gods will" etc) related to #1
    4) complacency - keep people busy trying to barely make ends meet so they have no energy to be involved (see #1 as the source)

mapleglo and Indiedog like this.
  20. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Every connection introduces resistance, no matter the quality of the connection or connector.

We're all in this together!

The Owl, JIO, Indiedog and 1 other person like this.