1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reflections on Music, Life, and "Beauty Gone Wild"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Indiedog, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Thought so. Thanks!

2. For anyone looking for inspiration, here ya go.

Wow, just wow....

Indiedog, JIO and The Owl like this.
  3. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Yeah, Joni Mitchell is one of my top 5 all time favorite artists of all time. What an enormous talent. Thanks for posting, Rick!

JIO, BassHappy and The Owl like this.
  4. Sure 'glo, my pleasure. I knew she had written the song, but I didn't realize that she couldn't be there to perform it, so she passed it along for CSN to do it.

Leah and I stumbled onto this version - and we were so taken by her piano chops and her perfect pitch. Timely too, with whatever the anniversary of Woodstock happens to bring with it this summer. I have been a huge fan going all the way back to "Blue" which I always thought was one of the best records ever recorded. I worked with her engineer Dan Marnien on a couple of unrelated projects business-wise, and he occasionally had some Joni stories for me. She has had such a sad and complicated life in so many ways.

We have to get back to the garden, indeed....

Indiedog, mapleglo and The Owl like this.
  5. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe

mapleglo, Indiedog and The Owl like this.
  6. I also happen to love this rendition of "A Case Of You" live in Paris by Diana Krall. One of the few times a Joni song was actually given true justice in my opinion. Not a dry eye in the house after this one.

Indiedog likes this.
  7. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Been a somewhat productive week, got some spook organ onto "Bears" and had a great conversation with an old musical cohort from my Boston days. I had been wanting to do a rendition of a song we used to do live but never recorded. He gave me the green light and said he'll put tigether a piano/voice scratch track for me to wrok with. Last night I actually managed to piece together the intro for "Turpentine" completely from memory. This oughta be interesting.

Indiedog likes this.
  8. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    Rotary switches are silent as long as there is no signal going through them when you switch from one setting to the next. They will have some pops and crackles if you switch while sustaining a note. The trick is to mute the strings temporarily while switching if the noise bothers you.

Indiedog likes this.
  9. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Thank you, Sheldon!

I am pretty sure that even when the strings were muted that there was noise. I will call the salesman Tuesday and mention it. (I am not looking to buy it necessarily, i just see it as a learning experience for me and the shop.)

10. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Yup, one of her all-time classics. As you say, her sense of pitch is beyond accurate. And she has such a great sense of timing.

And what an ability to choose musicians! Jaco...Pat Metheny...so many great players graced her recordings.
    The mold was broken with Joni.

("Talk to Me" which JIO posted is the perfect example of what she pushed Jaco to do. Just wonderful!)

JIO and The Owl like this.
  11. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I have a bunch of her albums.

I have to pick and choose the right time to listen to her music. Sometimes, the music is so good, I am overwhelmed by emotion, and I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Seriously, her music has that much of an effect on me. It's uncanny.

12. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA

A personal favorite.

Indiedog and mapleglo like this.
  13. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    First bit of progress on "Turpentine" for all the moonshiners

Attached Files:

Indiedog likes this.
  14. The DGM website/KC facebook page just shared a link to a long, in-depth interview with Jakko Jakszyk.
    Lots of insights, personal history and anecdotes, and he seems like such a nice guy! Well worth the time, in my opinion.

Indiedog and The Owl like this.
  15. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Rock and Roll! Very, very nice...great drums, bass, and of course, your tres cool guitar work.

Real drummer or tracks? If the former, what snare drum did he use?

16. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Ooh, by Anil...he is a fine interviewer. I will read it today.
    Thanks so much!

scaramousche likes this.
  17. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    You don't have to 'splain that sort of thing to me.
    I am very emotionally affected by music.

We talk about a lot of stuff here but Music is everything.

18. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Thanks so much Indie! It was drum loops patterned after some James Brown grooves. I love the snare sound but have no idea who the drummer was or type of kit. Regardless, it sure sounded good to my ears.

When I was in my friend's band, some nights we used to play that song at trainwreck tempos and somehow it still held together.

BTW, did your CD arrive OK?

Indiedog likes this.
  19. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    @scaramousche OH MY GOODNESS! That interview was so wonderful. I liked Jakko before but I love the man now. I cannot recommend the interview enough because he has worked with so many people and so many genres. It sounds a bit inflated to say but this is Life affirming stuff.

The Owl and scaramousche like this.
  20. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    It did arrive yesterday! Thanks for checking. I hope to spin it in the next day or two.

Thanks for the info on the drums. Great stuff.

The Owl likes this.