Reflex reds I need help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sinbad, Jul 17, 2005.

1. sinbad

Jul 16, 2005
    Hi everyone, :help:
    I just picked up some reflex reds on ebay to upgrade a cheap no-name p-bass copy and realised that they are unfortunately active pups. Nothing against active pups, it's just that I haven't a clue how to hook them up. There isn't much info on the net about them so I don't know if they are active themselves, or whether they need active elecronics. If they turn out to be passive, what sort of electronics would I need, and how much would it cost? If anyone can give me some hints or a link to some information I would be grateful.
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    could you take a picture and/or describe the wires from it?
    Assuming it's a three wire pickup, it should be easy to hook up.
    Assuming that's the case, there should be a red wire which will be the battery wire, the other two will be hot and ground.
    You can use a wiring diagram from the emg website, with minor modification.
  3. sinbad

Jul 16, 2005
    Here are two photos of the pups. The cable connections are a single blue core with a screen. I assumed that the screen was the earth and the core live, and connected the two short fat pups accordingly. I haven't tried the other one yet as that means digging a hole in the body.
    I don't know the size of the pots or caps that are fitted in my bass, so there may be a missmatch there as well. I contacted the guy who sold them and he says that he didn't use a battery, so they may well be passive after all. At the moment they are very passive!! I hope the pics are available I can't see them in the preview.
    I much appreciate your help.

Attached Files:

4. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

David's right. If they're active there will be 3 leads, one red to hot of battery clip. There will also have very low resistance on a meter. 25K pots for those would be the obvious choice.

Passive probably 250k pots. The insulated lead will be hot and the other ground.

I've got a set of active Reflex pups - and a Reflex silver series pre.
  5. sinbad

Jul 16, 2005
    I think I've solved my problem, partly at least. I read luknfur's reply to eilifs thread on peavy pups and connected one directly and tapped it with a small screwdriver. I got a very feeble output but at least it showed me that it was working. I then hooked it up to an active DI and then a mic preamp and got music!!
    I dont' know the exact resistance of the pup because my multimeter battery has just died on me but I remember that it was pretty low when I checked for continuity a few days ago, which was why I assumed that it was an active one in the first place. It would then seem that it came from a bass with active electronics, so I need a cheap, quiet onboard preamp. Any suggestions??
  6. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

One thing I didn't mention is that those Reflex even with a preamp were low output - I'd guesstimate almost half of the average output.

Another thing is I automatically used 25K for volumes since the pups were active. I'm pretty sure at some point I've wired these pups straight to the jack in the bass and output was very low as well so low output is inherent in the pups. Bu there are ways to compensate for output so it's no major deal.
  7. sinbad

Jul 16, 2005
    luknfur and davidmwilson, many thanks for your helpful information on the pu's. Any idea where I could get some "cheap" on board active electronics?
  8. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Guy on has an add for an EMG BTC pre for $45 shipped. I've had several of them and their good little pre's.
  9. Stratman

May 15, 2006
    Hi Sinbad

The Reflex pickups actually come with a preamp that is moulded in epoxy. Without the preamp, the output will be extremely low and requires 10K pots to function well. If EMG preamps are fitted, I suggest using the BTC in the front of the pickups followed by PA 2 to boost the signal. Then 25K pots will be recommended. I hope this helps.
  10. miktit

miktit Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    I can see this thread is rather old, but I give it a go anyway. :meh:

The Reflex Pickups are passive but the signal is boosted by the small preamp box. You need to use 25K Pots (Thats what they are shipped with).

Is the preamp box fitted with 4 wires Red, Green, Blue and White?
    If it is, then Red is battery
    Green is ground
    Blue is out
    White is in

Connect the preamp box between the tone-pot and the output jack
    Tone pot -> White
    Blue -> Output jack

Hope this helps
  11. grero114

Feb 9, 2007
    hey i have the same reflex reds butdont even know how to wire the pots up. is it the same as a passive pj set, and then add the preamp, or different altogether?:help:
  12. Stratman

May 15, 2006
    Its the same as wiring a passive pickup. The pre amp must be connected in between. The pots for Reflex should be 10K. 25K pots should work.

White - input
    Blue - output
    Red - Battery +
    Green - Earth

Connect as the above and the thing will work. The battery -ve connect to the jack socket.

Good Luck