Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Refninishing a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dviper, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Dviper

Dviper

Aug 24, 2004
    New York, USA
    How much does it normaly cost to refinish a bass. Say i get a bass in black cuz theres no other color offered. how much would it be to refinish it into like sunburst?

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Well, depends on the bass and where you go. You can do it yourself. Also, be aware that the wood won't always look good with a sunburst or any naturalesque finish.

3. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Black is the worst color to refinish from. For whatever reason, black gets into the wood a lot more than other colors. If you did a transparent finish, like sunburst, you'll probably see some black 'splotches' showing through. If you have to start with black, go with a solid color. Otherwise you may want to consider picking up a body on ebay or from Warmoth.

4. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Do a little reading up.....

Solid colored basses are usually solid colored because the wood beneath the finish isn't so hot in the first place. Black and white are among the toughest to pull off flawlessly as well.

Starting with a raw or sealed body will save you time - USA Custom or Warmoth can get you well on your way quickly.

Its a rewarding project - well worth the effort. Go very VERY slowly.

5. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Yes, if you go it alone, take your time and hand sand everything (or strip the top and back, then hand sand thereafter)! Blacks and reds can be sanded down to wood grain, but it will be quite a bit of material to remove. I'm already at 25 hours+ on hand stripping what liquid paint stripper wouldn't remove on a red beater bass. It's looking great!

As stated above, the wood grain is very boring under solid colors, which shouldn't be too much of a problem if you go sunburst to keep it interesting. Good luck, a very worthy project.

Oh, and I'm at $20 in stripping supplies, and another $10 for tung oil and steel wool and such.

These guys have finishing supplies at a reasonable price. To go sunburst will of course cost more than my $5 bottle of tung oil did.
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies.html

6. Dviper

Dviper

Aug 24, 2004
    New York, USA
    So if i get it in natural gloss with the swamp ash wood it wont be too hard to refinish into some kind of burst color or something like clear blue to see the grain below it?

7. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    exactly, natural finish means that the finish is transparent which means that even if you don't sand it till the grain is not filled with finish it's not going to be visible when you apply other color.

keep groooovin'
    Fran