1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Refreshing an instrument

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AshInAmsterdam, Feb 5, 2016.

1. image.

Isn't it nice how you can refresh an instrument with the simplest, cheapest changes.

I changed my Pickguard last night and it felt almost like a NBD!

Fender standard Ps come in only four colour options and the candy apple red all have white pick guards. I wanted to be different and am a fan of red and black so I went black and ordered a €10 third party piece as I was ordering other bits anyway.

It took a couple of hours of gently filing the neck slot and a little around the pickup hole to make it fit, and only 3 of the screws lined up so some drilling was necessary. But hey.

It felt like a new bass again, even only for an evening of playing.

Immigrant and mbelue like this.
  2. image.

Incidentally does anyone know what the little indent is in the top right of the body?

It's about 15mm (2/3") or so and has a letter A written in it and a screw hole in the centre.

pedroims likes this.

3. If it "has a letter a written in it" it obviously is an " a hole".

Otherwise, it was used to receive a round pin to position the body while undergoing a machining process, during manufacturing.

mbelue, roogbass, Billyzoom and 3 others like this.
  4. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    The extra hole looks like operator error that was able to be covered up by the pickguard.

Either that it is a tone release emergency valve (Fender Made in ______ models only).

brendanbassix likes this.
  5. Every "Made in Mexico" Fender bass I have hand apart.. had that hole in the body, so it is part of the machining process..

6. Ah yes because the American ones have less tone so they add a release valve to the others so that people think they're not better. *controversy*

Perhaps it's where the instamojo™ Module by ashinamsterdam parts ltd screws in.

LowNloud1 and Malak the Mad like this.
  7. Billyzoom

Billyzoom Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    Looks great!

AshInAmsterdam likes this.
  8. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    That’s exactly how I felt when I changed out my white pickguards for... something else I won’t mention what but you can take a wild guess... :D

9. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

its a "holding" spot for the CNC

10. Oh I'm sure I've heard that particular four letter word enough on this board.......

Marko 1 likes this.
  11. Well, they do make your bass sound better!

12. There are other four letter words to respond to that idea

13. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Kind of odd to be drilling holes to hold the work piece in place when a clamp is able to do the same job a lot faster.

[​IMG]

gebass6 likes this.
  14. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    But the machine cannot edge route around clamps.

15. 5544

Dec 1, 2015