Refreshing your groups attitude/working finding a guitarist(beware of rant)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Well guys, here's the deal. for about the last month we've my group (a trio of bass drums and vox) has been working on finding a guitarist, and in the past month we've tried two people almost exactly the same. same crappy style of tuning (drop.....aka, "i don't know how to play a perfect fifth [ala powerchord] with two fingers" stye), same crappy style of playing (self taught, using minimal's obvious) and same "oh yea, yanno, i can play fast" BS attitude. we've all (i only HOPE) realized the fact that if we ever want to get out of my basement for gigs that we need to find a guitar player, and lately, since we don't find many people (in numbers and quality) we've in general just been cruising around in the singers car (I haven't even started on him yet) in all our free time, regardless of whether or not we intend on practicing (material's cold).
    well, just for kicks, the first guy, who had been playing completely self taught seven years, comes in, starts trying to play some of our stuff, it doesnt even happens (also a digitech user, so you can tell he's craptastic), and for our finally before our "fake splitup" he says, "you expect a guitar player to follow bass?" well, enough said on him.

second guy comes in, I had gave him a demo prior to the meetup (two weeks ago), and we meet up, first thing i really hear is "oh i stopped listening to the demo a week ago". right, EAT ME, i'm only giving a fair chance out. so yea, he can play A LITTLE better than the first with 3 years behind him, he's got his own style (and a behringer rig ready to explode), needless to say, we're not feeling it.

so we talk about it afterwords on our decision, and our drummer (the great minimalist on a crap set) realizing that i don't want the guy in the band comes out with "jim your just looking for a robot that can play exactly like you". well, all arguments aside, truth is, yes, if i've only played 4 years and im damn good at what i can do, I'd expect someone playing a little longer than me to do better. another part of this is, the truth is, these guys are desperate. it gets even better. since my band is a punk influence (drummer and singer both Dead Kennedy punk nuts) and I listen to a good deal of death metal, needless to say there would be some influence in my playing. so he says next "you expect everything to be a freaking death metal band." I'm like "if you pulled your f***ing a$$ out of your head and looked beyond the vocals it's the same damn thing. i don't do this surf punk crap." ditto off the singer , who in general believes to be in a band means to not write anything and then to scream like he's at a riot. I'm really trying to get this band off it's feet by the time i'm 21 (in six months or i'll have to leave it for a real job) but between the genre differences beteween us and the difficulties in find a guitarist, we don't know what the hell to do. any ideas guys? oh, and just so i can show how "hard" our material is, i'd willingly post up our sound files
  2. MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Good bass players are harder to find then anything else. If you aren't digging where your band is at right now- go to craigslist and find one of the zillion other bands that need a bass player and try them out.
  3. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    Whats that old saying?... There are lots of guitar players for every gig and there are lots of gigs for every bass player? or something like that.
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    although i think GOOD drummers are just about as hard to find.
  5. well, i don't want to leave this band as i'm pretty good in with my's just everything got so it almost doesn't take even more than a look at a guy that says he can play guitar before my gut reaction says he has skills or not. or if we still wanna play the songs we can do them with our eyes closed. I'm debating whether or not I should even keep LOOKING for a guitarist, and (since I'm planning on getting a bass head with overdrive) just get a second bass player. speaking of which, anyone got any sort of ideas on how to make that work??
  6. MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    From what you are saying I'd advise you (again) to broaden your horizons and seek another band. Your rant sounds like you don't really like the music you are playing and you sometimes get into arguments with your bandmates.

If you are set on sticking with these guys and finding another guitar player I'd ask you how you are advertising for one. Are you using Craig's list? Myspace? Putting ads out at music schools? Also, what are you offering a new player in your band? How many times a month do you guys gig? How many times do you practice a week? Are there any paying gigs?

If you want an awesome player you have to think about what you have to offer them to join your band. Maybe you are just venting on your rant- but if I was a bad ass guitar player and I tried out for a band that had some off the issues you say you guys do I wouldn't waste my time. Not trying to be mean or anything- I am just not sugar coating it.
  7. MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Yeah. Sigh... I am not looking forward to finding a new drummer for my band.