1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Refret costs & ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by iplaybassguitar, Dec 29, 2006.

1. So i just got a new bass for christmas, and it is perfect, i cant imagine what could be done to make it better, EXCEPT...it has medium frets.

my old basses had jumbos, and it doesnt make too much of a difference except for when i hammer on from open notes, its a lot harder to do so.

how much of a difference would having jumbo frets put on make, would it make it easier to play? and if so, how much would it cost to have 24 frets put on a six string?

2. someones gotta know

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I'd say $350 and up, depending on who does it, your fingerboard, if there's binding, etc. Not all guys do good work and you want someone who can do a flawless job and get it set up to play perfectly with the frets levelled, fret ends properly rounded over, etc. Work like that isn't cheap.

Would it make it easier to play? -maybe. It wouldn't to me, but you seem to prefer jumbo frets. Your tastes may change with time though.

I wouldn't do it. If you don't like the bass, trade it for something with jumbo frets that you do like. It seems like a lot of money to spend on a brand new bass that already is good.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I'd say $350 and up, depending on who does it, your fingerboard, if there's binding, etc. Not all guys do good work and you want someone who can do a flawless job and get it set up to play perfectly with the frets levelled, fret ends properly rounded over, etc. Work like that isn't cheap.

Would it make it easier to play? -maybe. It wouldn't to me, but you seem to prefer jumbo frets. Your tastes may change with time though.

I wouldn't do it. If you don't like the bass, trade it for something with jumbo frets that you do like. It seems like a lot of money to spend on a brand new bass that already is good.

5. i probably wont now that i know the cost of this work...if it was less than 150 or so i probably would, because it would be worth it, but im sure i will get used to medium frets, theyre not really that different, just will take some getting used to.