Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Refretting a bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Canadia142, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Ok I think and hope this is in the right forum.

I defretted my bass a while ago and am kind of getting sick of fretless. I want another fretted but right now I don't have enough money to buy a new one and I love the bass I have right now so much I don't want to get rid of it.

So I guess the only other option would to put the frets back into the bass. I've never heard about anyone acually doing this so I don't even know if it is possible. That's why I am hoping you guys could give me some insite on it. Is this even possible and if it is do you have any good guides on how to do it (I could figure it out I just feel safer with a guide incase I get stuck)?

I don't have the original frets anymore (they were too bent up to be of any use anyway) and I put woodfill into the slots the frets took up.

Thanks

Edit: Ok I did some searching, something I should have done BEFORE posting :rollno:

anyways, now I know it is possible, what would it be likely for someone to charge to do this to a 4 string? I don't know if I really want to do it and I think it would be good if someone else did it for me. I would like some estimates so I won't get ripped off (the guitar places around here are a bunch of cheap skates).

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Talk to Michael Dolan. He is really busy right now, but he does good work and his prices are quite reasonable.