1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

refretting my Fender 77

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mesaphlin, Jul 17, 2012.

1. mesaphlin

mesaphlin

Apr 6, 2011
    Hello everyone,

I want to refret my 77 Fender JB by bringing it to a luthier. But I want to purchase fret wires for specifically for Fender 77 ( vintage in other words )

Is there any vintage fret wires that I could purchase from the net ? If anyone knows where I could buy it from, could someone please tell me the URL of the store?

Btw, I hope I am doing alright by thinking to refret it with vintage fret wires. Maybe there are some other brands for Fender which is better quality-wise. If so, what is the name of the brand if anyone could share it with me if I may ask?

Thanks for everything.

Best Regards

2. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    When you take your bass to a luthier to do the work, he/she will be able to order the correct size of fret wire for you.

The fret wire itself will not be vintage wire, but it will be the exact same size, shape and composition as the original.

I sincerely doubt that you would be able to find fret wire from the 70s, but even if you could, there's no reason to. The new wire would be exactly the same anyway, and the bass has been refretted either way so, in the long run, it doesn't make a difference.

Would you put vintage tires on a '49 Mercury, or would you put new tires on it that were the same as the originals?

3. mesaphlin

mesaphlin

Apr 6, 2011
    gotcha...!!!

thanks

;)

4. If you found someone who claimed that they had "Vintage Fret Wire" how would you know if it was or not. Do you really think vintage wire is better? Do you think it is different?
    You know that Fender did not make their own fretwire in 1977. They bought it from a supplier who was the low bidder.
    Rocky

5. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Stew Mac 148 and Dunlop 6230 are good choices for vintage Fender. The repair shop will know this and either order it or have it on hand. If they do not know the proper size, finding another shop would be a good idea.

Buying the wire ahead of time to take to the shop is like buying eggs ahead of time to take the diner.

6. Most shops depend on a small markup on parts and don't appreciate you bringing your own. Also, on many parts you would not have any warranty on parts you furnished. Some shops may even charge a little extra on the labor to make up for profit lost on the parts, so you really aren't saving any money.
    Rocky