Refurbish modify Yamaha Rbx6jm?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eagle, Mar 7, 2003.

1. eagle

Jun 13, 2002
    I own a Yamaha Rbxjm6Jm and thinking of refurbish /modify it....
    I saw the pics of a refurbished one here and modified to fretless......
    What I wish to do is strip the paint and smooth the edges and string it with soft strings......and change mics and preamp
    Anyone know wich mics and preamp fits nicely and works good with this bass?
    Any mics that fit without to much work done to the original bays?
    Is the weener to thin to smothen out the edges without it looking like crap?
  2. jbay

May 23, 2002
    I believe ur talking bout my Yammy.

Anyway, I've since replaced the preamp to a passive circuit, and I would say is that you might have some problems fitting pots. If u remove the preamp, u'll notice that the cavity has recesses for each pot, and the shafts of the pots on the preamp are not of "standard depth".

When I refinished mine, I, too, wanted to round the edges, but if u think about it, if u round the corners, u'll shave into the nut screw washers, and control & battery cavities.
  3. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    i think yamaha use the same pickups in both the rbx and BB lines. Are your soapbars 4.75 inches by 1.5? If so, EMG makes pickups that almost fit perfect, but you wil have just an 1/8th of an inch left on each side, which is easy to fill.

I have two EMGs that I am going to install on my BB in the next week. I'll let you know how it turns out.