1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Regal 160B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Huizar82, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Huizar82

Huizar82

Aug 16, 2012
    Hey guys, I am having a little bit of trouble with this amp I bought from craigslist. It is a regal RE 160B and from what I understand, it is pretty rare. I am blowing fuses and am in the process of tearing it down, but a schematic would help tremendously. I am hoping that someone out there knows where I can find the schematic or a similar one. I have read that these were distributed by Fender as a student amp and that Harmony is also associated. Any help is appreciated.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Unless you have all the necessary testing equipment, and the skills needed to work on amps, a good qualified amp technician is your best hope.

3. What's it like---tube, solid state...? Any indication of where it was made? The USA Regal company, based in Chicago, was mainly an instrument maker---the brand was owned by Harmony from sometime in the 1950s, which I assume means any Regal-branded amps would have been made by Valco. But there are also apparently some Regal amps that were made in Canada, and I don't know if that's the same company or not.

If it's a Valco-made tube amp, it ought to be good for *something*, but that something may or may not be bass. I couldn't find anything about the specific model number, but it might be possible to figure out what a similar Harmony or Supro model would be.

Photos would be good too.

Also, a second to what RickenBoogie said. Don't mess around inside tube amps unless you know what you're doing---there are voltages in there that can kill. It isn't *hard* to learn how to do it safely, but it's not a good thing to learn about through trial and error.

-NT

4. Huizar82

Huizar82

Aug 16, 2012
    It is solid state. I am an electronics student and have all the test equipment I need. What I am short on is time. I probably have to go through and test each component and once I figure out what the problem is, I will probably feel stupid because of how simple it is.
    Here is a link to the same amp on sale from ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Reg..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c5a11d29#viTabs_0
    I wanted to save myself some trouble by finding a schematic and I know there are some guys here who have more experience than I do which is why I am asking for help.
    I believe the amp was made in Chicago and the label says 1979.
    Thanks everyone.

5. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have one thats broke, loved the thing when it was working, sounded amazing dimed, that fizzy fuzzy overdriven bliss. I'vbeen meaning to take it in to get fixed and upgraded so it can handle being fully cranked with out flinching. Mine actually has a schematic underneath the chassis of the head, glued on to the wood of the combo.

I know this is an old thread but I hope this helps...