Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

regal bassoguitar

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by tyb507, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Hi all,
    I've recently become the proud owner of what seems to be something of a rarity. An old regal bassoguitar. I think it's from the 1930's. I traded a lidl plywood bass for it. It's not the most practical thing for gigging and recording, but it sure looks cool on stage between the fiddle and the banjo! I admit, I'm a romantic about such things...
    Problem is (well, today's problem), I can't find any info about it. The bridge that's on it is from a regular upright, with the feet cut off and the top shaved. I wonder if anybody has any pics or specs or old adverisements, or anything that might get me rolling on making an original-style bridge. The current bridge is warping the front!
    Any help would be great.
    p.s. I'll also be looking for a new, more playable upright, preferably fully carved, 3/4 size, near Vermont. As soon as I sell off some other instruments, I'll be looking for an instrument. Any leads would be great. And anybody want to buy a 1960's Puchner bassoon for $6000?

2. oops, I realized I slipped in something that probably should have gone in the for sale ads.
    Ummmm, just kidding!

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    You might want to ask the folks at the Musical Instrument Maker's Forum (MIMF) about the Regal Bassomatic ;) .

4. noble brown

noble brown

Aug 18, 2009
    Well i have some nice pic. of the Regal stand up bass , i use to own, if you will email me at nbrown@elmore.rr.com . i will send them to you

5. noble brown

noble brown

Aug 18, 2009
    I have pic. of the bass you have , it is a Regal email me so i can send pic. nbrown@elmore.rr.com

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I know this is a necrothread, but... can you imagine laying down some walking bass lines on that?.... :eek::cool:

7. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    hmm...
    i guess paul hanson can

8. noble brown

noble brown

Aug 18, 2009
    ......................I have nice pic. of the Regal Bass if you will email me i can send pic..nbrown@elmore.rr.com

9. I've seen a copy of the 1931 ad for the Regal BASSOGUITAR "The Biggest Guitar In The World!"
    Upon closer examination, I've noticed that it has a range that reaches C#.
    My questions are:
    What is the scale length?
    How is the playing action?
    Is it as strongly built as the advertisement claims?
    Could you describe the sound quality?
    Contact a really qualified luthier for any advice on any adjustments.

10. iiipopes

iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    PIX! WE WANT PIX!

11. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Considering this is a thread from 2004, don't be surprised if the information you seek is not forthcoming.

12. iiipopes

iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    Fine. Here:

Attached Files:

13. I believe that the bassist in the picture is Israel Crosby. One of the best and most influential bassists in jazz.