Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Regal Resonator

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Sound of the Police, Aug 22, 2001.

1. I recently played an acoustic Regal resonator bass. It was by far the best acoustic bass I've ever played, and I've played a few. Has anyoned owned one? If so, what do you think? Do you have anything to tell me before I order one, like that they fall apart in a week? Thanks for any info.

2. bobaloo

bobaloo

Aug 26, 2001
    Newport News, Va.
    While I've never played the resonator bass I do play resonator guitar (dobro) and have owned a Regal. What I found is that they are good quality instruments for the price and are made correctly parts-wise. My Regal dobro was lacking in the low end dept. and I found out about a reso builder named Paul Beard who, for $200, installs a Quarterman Cone (90% of sound comes from cone), bone nut, ebony-tipped maple bridge, and sets it all up. The difference is like night and day as I played both side-by-side. I don't know if he does the same for Resonator basses but it's definitely worth looking into. He has a website-Resophonic Outfitters-and is a really nice guy to talk to. He's located in western Maryland. He offered give me a trade in on my Regal for what I paid for it towards one of his hand-made reso's which I took him up on. It is a beautiful instrument and I always get comments on how good it sounds.

3. I got it! The Regal resonator bass is the best acoustic bass on the market that I've played. It's loud and has great tone. I'm thrilled to own it. It sounds great electric too. I've already played it with a band. I had never even met them before and they commented on how great it sounds. Anyone who is interested in acoustic or acoustic electric basses should check these out.

http://www.folkofthewood.com/page162.htm

This is where I orderend it from. They're great.