Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

regarding cabs and response time

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Boozy, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    if you dont feel like reading what i have typed, i am really just asking for opinions/advise/wisdom in regards to response time with different cabs.. (need tight, clean, fast responding cabs)

well, i have been playing through a 2x15 old sunn *edit*TRAYNOR*edit* cabinet for quite a long time.. it aint the best as the speakers can only handle so much volume without crackling and whatnot (1 radio shack, 1 i'm not sure of).. BUT, it responds fast...

i never thought of response time before because i never had a problem with it, until i jammed with my old fender bass300c bxr combo.. i noticed a slight delay. not enough to notice while playing solo (i usually just play through this combo at home by myself).. but playing fast/punk/metal with my band i noticed a delay.. (they couldnt notice it but i sure could)

now, i am sortof seeking info on new cabs.. i cant go try them out around here, but i can research as much as possible, so that when i am in vancouver i can try out the cabs that appealed to me...

the sunn *edit*TRAYNOR*edit* is a sealed cabinet split into 2 sections

the bxr combo is ported out the front/bottom

could the fact that the combo is not a sealed enclosure be what is causing the response delay?

i am curious because i want to know what to avoid when shopping for a new cab.

cabs that have appealed to me are ampeg svt 8x10, svt 2x15, and/or mesa road ready's.

if it helps to know what type of music i play, i will list some exmples/influences, similar styles:
    chili peppers mellow with fingers and chili peppers funk slap - didn't notice a problem playing this

pennywise/greenday fast skate style with fingers or pick - noticed a problem right away (need tight, clean, fast responding cabs)

slayer/cannibal corpse - the faster i play the more of a problem i notice.

thanks alot for any and all help everyone.

OOPS. edited. i meant Traynor cabinet not sunn cabinet (i use an old sunn concert bass head and got em mixed up!. Sorry about that!

thanks again.

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'd say a 1x15 and a 2x10 would be just the ticket for you ... on the other hand. If your old Sunn is in decent shape ... I'd get new good drivers for it (EV, JBL ...). If it is the cab I'm thinking of (the one that came with the 200S) that was a really nice design. I ran a pair of them loaded with JBL D-140's back in the mid 70's and they kicked. Smaller than most of the 2x15's of the time. Not super low bass but punchy as all get out. You can always add a 2x10 later.

I didn't notice what you use for a head but that's part of the equation for me. In general a tube front end will be a bit *spongy* and solid state will be crisper. They both have their place. As for brands, I'm a bit out of touch but I'd say that GK or Hartke would do for the *stock* cabinet approach. For slapping, skitter funk, etc I'd be solid state all the way for the enhanced definition.

I saw Bill Kirtchen recently and his bassist had killer tone. P-Bass through a Bass POD Pro, power amp (?) and Mesa 1x15 and 2x10. Very strong !

Last time I was through Mothers in Vancouver they had a pretty cool selection of used gear so I'd make that a stop along with the boxy guys at L&M.

Good luck!