1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Regarding electrical resistance values of pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by William Cornelius, Feb 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. William Cornelius

William Cornelius Commercial User

Jan 22, 2016
    I have a super generic cheapy double p bass that I bought on a whim because I have never encountered a double p bass before. Out of the box it did not sound too hot, but the overall handling and playability of it is formidable - in fact impressive. After a number of modifications, it now sounds pretty decent. It has become my favorite bass. New pickups are the final frontier. Today I went ahead and yanked some Seymour Duncuns out of a p bass I don't use and installed both in the neck position. Then it hit me. The electrical resistance in regards to the pickups was configured top two neck, bottom two bridge. So now I have one neck pickup and three bridge pickups with one bridge pickup at the neck. Needless to say, I am going to order another set to fix the arrangement. I am considering going with EMG simply because I have never seen that sort of mix up. I am assuming the resistance values of the EMG pickups will be different than the Duncans. Will this be a problem?

2. The resistance that you speak of is basically meaningless. Don't worry about it. What matters, however, is impedance. Most of EMG's pickups are active, while most of Seymour Duncan's pickups are passive. This is a problem, because active pickups are buffered to have a much lower output impedance than passive pickups. You can't mix the two unless you buffer the passive pickup to lower its output impedance. Otherwise, the active pickup is just going to kill all of the passive pickup's output.

3. William Cornelius

William Cornelius Commercial User

Jan 22, 2016
    Thank you so much. I found some DiMarzio DP122 that are passive, I will go with that. One last thing. This bizarre pickup configuration I achieved through absentmindedness has an exceptionally unique sound, I wish you could hear it. It is bizarre, but also very cool. I might end up getting another cheap double p bass just to configure it like that. Once again, thank you.