Regarding Guitar//Teaching

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Sep 25, 2005.

1. I recently bought an SX guitar from rondo mainly to brush up on my guitar. The plan is to teach beginner/intermediate guitar and beginner to advanced bass while i attend college next year. Now,i just wanted to know if you guys would have any tips on doing such a thing. I know I need to get familiar with the basic chords again(I took guitar class in HS) and certain voicings and all that jazz. But,what else do you think I should pick up/work on? Im mainly a finger player(on bass) so,pick will be somewhat of a challenge for me once I do get my guitar.

any tips/help is greatly appreciated.
  2. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    How about teaching a style of guitar playing, like J. Hendrix, E. Clapton, J. Beck. People tend to go for a style first, because style is the only thing beginners can associate to. Beginners rarely know the different facets of harmony, melody, and rhythm. I teach guitar, but I just stick to Blues style. It avoids having to deal with people who want to play like Steve Via and others, and is a happy medium between technique and theory.

That's not to say Steve Via isn't a great guitarist. His style has a place in the vast spectrum of musical genre.
  3. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Work on your ear. Assuming you aren't teachng other music majors attending college for guitar, 90% of your students will be interested mainly in learning how to play a particular song they like at the given moment. It could be anything from Blink 182 to Incubus to Dixie Chicks and you'll need to pick it apart for them.

Sometimes you'll get a student whose actually interested in digging into their instrument more, which is great as a teacher, but most of the time its just "Dude, can you teach me to slap like Fieldy?".
  4. haha,thanks for the suggestion.