1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

regarding my jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crispygoat, Sep 10, 2008.

1. crispygoat

crispygoat Guest

Aug 22, 2006
    London, Ontario
    Lately I have been looking around for a different bass, mainly a p bass. This morning some guy's post (sorry sir, i'll find that post :)) struck my by saying, you don't really need a new bass, changing pick ups may only cost a few bucks and you feel like having a totally different bass. The post also reminded me that when I bought my bass I put more money into the preamp, other stuff, as I can always change the pick ups later. The current pick ups in my bass are Nordstrand NJ4 Pickups and the pre amp is an Aguilar OBP-3. Jazz bass' sound awesome, but for some reason I can't dial a tone I like. I mean this guy here,

uses a jazz bass and it sounds awesome. Sure I know he uses a passive bass first of all, I guess I can always put the EQ on my bass flat ? or take the whole preamp out ? that would be a waste I guess. I was also wondering about the whole preamp in my bass / preamp in my amp ? am I supposed to put one flat, and use the other one ? or something ? Any ideas for a good motown wise - 70s tone ? Pickup Change ?

Thanks !

2. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    well im not really sure what pickups one would change to in order to make it sounds 70'sish.but if you really want to buy a new bass, and one that would sound like from the 70's,then get the new fender 70's jazz bass!! its really nice actually and has good tone/feel/etc. but im really sorry i dont know more about the pickups, theyre a really sore subject to me, i have no idea what brand someone would change to for that preticular tone. and i have no idea how to change them! but im sorry again and the best of luck to you in what ever you decide

3. My $.02. Nothing, NOTHING sounds like a P Bass. The new MIA Standard Ps are very nice, and not stupid expensive new.

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Sounds like you've done enough to your Jazz. Get a P.

I just picked up a 62 Reissue (used) and I couldn't be happier. I didn't have to sell my jazz though, so that made me happy too!

5. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Something to consider....see if you can find a Jazz pickguard with a cutout for a P-bass pickup, like the Reggie Hamilton and Mark Hoppus basses have. Then, replace the neck pickup of your Jazz bass with a Nordie NP4. It's easily reversed if you don't like it, but it allows you to keep your current bass and still possibly get the tone you want. Good luck with whatever you decide.

6. mailboxmoney

mailboxmoney

Jun 29, 2006
    Couple comments - The guy in the video gets a great sound out of a variety of basses, he's a great groove player. He uses a Korg Pandora preamp for his recordings, I think. I have a 60's jazz that I pulled out the active electronics on (old emg setup) and put in standard fender wiring/pots and 2 lollar j bass pups and the thing sounds way better. I have another 70's jazz that has standard fender electronics (replacements, but fender custom shop vintage style) and it sounds fabulous (imho). I also have a super cheapo p-bass that some guy reliced, and a 60's original P bass, and they both sound great for groove/Motown lines, all passive electronics. I love the active sound too, but I think passive is the way to get classic tones - not too hifi. But I bet James Jamerson could've played about anything and sounded great too....

7. crispygoat

crispygoat Guest

Aug 22, 2006
    London, Ontario
    :rollno: