Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Regarding Power/Watts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by endwhereyoubegi, Jul 13, 2005.

1. endwhereyoubegi

endwhereyoubegi

Jul 13, 2005
    I play in a loud rock band and I'm considering picking up a 50watt solid state fender head. Will 50watts be loud enough to play live shows? We play in fairly large venues and clubs and I just wanted to get some opinions before I pick up this head. Thanks for your time.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Not a chance.

What the heck HAVE you been using???

3. +1 Power ratings are pretty arbitrary... but... it seems to me that 300 watts RMS is the minimum you would need to get any sort of bass response in a large venue, loud situation (that's 300 transistor watts... I don't have much experience with tube power amps). Of course, the ohmage of your cab, the efficiency of the cab, the kind of sound you like (mid punch takes less watts that 'smiley face EQ'), etc. etc. all have an impact.

4. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    50 watts will drive your headphone monitors. If you are playing with a drummer add 500 watts. If you have a keyboard player add another 500 watts. Then add 1000 watts for each guitar player on stage. Now you are up to 3000 watts. That will be enough for your stage volume. If you are not running through the PA then you need to at least double that. I recommend that you run two PLX3002's bridged. If you have roadies, go with the RMX5050.

5. Please tell me that was sarcasm.

6. NO! I can't imagine 50 watts would be useful for anything involving more than bedroom practice, or playing with an acoustic guitar.

7. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

Well, I can't speak for Joe Beets, but my guess is no. I play in a 20X20 basement and I'm running 4600 watts. But I'm sorta crazy. :D :bassist:

[​IMG]

8. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    If you live in Ocean Shores, then you probably need a few thousand watts just to drown out the sound of the ocean waves and wind.

For the most part, 5O WATTS AINT GONE DO IT(sarcasm). You might want to try something around 200 watts or more.
    Another option is to use the 50 watter for a monitor and run a line out to a general PA if so equipped.

9. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Not for a loud rock band.

I've had many situations where an Ampeg B-15N or a 60s Fender Bassman (with a good speaker) was plenty - but that's playing kinder and gentler music - country & western, old rhythm and blues, klezmer, or jazz.

A 50-watt solid state amp will clip before you can say "turn me up."

10. It all depends on PA support, IMO. If there is a decent PA and you are being run through the mains and can get good monitor levels, than a 300w head should be enough to get decent stage volume. But...the bigger(louder) the better? Get what you can afford, and if you can only afford a 50w head, start saving. :hyper:

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Uhhh, no.

Help us help you! What kinda rigs are your guitar players using?

12. I've played small clubs and school size stages with a 100 watt Fender Rumble, and I play heavy rock. If your guitarist is running a half stack and a tube amp like mine, then that 100 watt Fender tuns into a pretty little stage prop for putting your DI box onto...

IMO You gonna need at least 300 SS watts!

13. endwhereyoubegi

endwhereyoubegi

Jul 13, 2005
    Thanks everyone for your input, it's greatly appreciated! We are a 3 piece, and the guitar player runs through a marshall jcm900 half stack. I suspected that this head wouldnt be nearly up to par. I'll see what else i can afford. THanks again.

14. I'm surprised nobody suggested just adding more speakers to his 50W amp? With acoustic coupling, and extra power out of the amp with the lower ohm load, he should be fine.

OOOOHHHH yes, that was sarcasm.... :D

Randy

15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Smartass....;) :p :D

16. endwhereyoubegi

endwhereyoubegi

Jul 13, 2005
    Oh, I'm a complete idiot. It turns out the head is a Fender SK-100b 100 watt solid state head. Is there any hope in hell THAT will be loud enough??

17. ABSOLUTLEY! No hard feelings though....

Randy

18. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    None here either.

19. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

What are you using now? I can't imagine a 50 or 100W head competing with your guitar player's half-stack. One of my guitar players uses a 60/100 watt Mesa-Boogie Mark I and it's frightening how loud that thing can get.

[​IMG]

20. 50 watt SS bass amp compaired to 100 watt tube guitar amp?

not even a close comparison, a 300 watt tube amp would do you, either that or at least 6-700 watt SS amp, altho that may be cutting it short, id try and push the level, altho, on saying that, my Peavey firebass holds up very well and is only 475 watts at 4ohms

But i compete with as 100 watt combo guitar amp (SS), yeah, my ampeg knocks it out the water :cool: