1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Regarding Tapewound string gauges

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Biggbass, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I'm using Fender Steel wound Med Lights on my Fender basses and wanting to put a set of tape wounds on my 62 Jazz RI. The Fender tape wounds are a medium gauge. Not a huge bump up in gauges but a slight one. Would I be better off going with a different brand set like D'Adarrio, which comes in gauges closer to what's already on the bass? I guess I'm wondering about the tension comparisons between tape wounds and steel strings. If I bump up a gauge with the tape wounds would I possibly be looking at tweaking the set up of the bass?

thanks

2. Fender tapes arelow tension and D'Addarios are supposed to be higher tensioned. The Fender tapes are about the lowest tensioned tapes there are. The GHS tapes I use are somewhere in between the Fenders and LaBellas in tension. I liked the GHS tapes over the LaBellas because the gauge was also quite similar to the gauges I use instead of the really thick Fenders and LaBellas.

3. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Thanks for the info. Appreciate it!

4. IIRC, the D'Addario Tapes I have on my Squier P are all around 30-40 lbs. tension. I chose them because 1) I'm a D'Addario fan and 2) I like the standard gauges.

Great tone, feel, etc. I highly recommend them!

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    The nylon outer wrap is considerably less dense than metal. So, even though the gauges appear to be much larger, the actual tension is less.

For consideration, even though the D'Addario tapes are a .105-.050 set, the tension is more along the lines of a .095-.035 set.

Although they don't post their tension information, I have a hunch that the Rotosound tapes are probably the highest and most normal-tensioned set.