1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Regarding the Detroit REd Wings and the NHL......

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I know we have enough playoff sports threads, but this has been on my mind.

The Red Wings are having problems AGAIN in the playoffs. They are lucky to be tied 1-1 against Edmonton. Wouldn't surprise me if they get knocked out once again in the first round.

So for all the older TB'er, do you think the Red Wings (past 11-12 years) are the biggest choking playoff team in sports? I mean 3 cups in 12 year isn't bad, but on paper we should have at least 6 or 7. They seem notorious for getting knocked out of the first round by insignificant last place teams.

Poor Yzerman.

2. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Easy Big Fella........... the Stars looked like crap Saturday, too. I fully expect to see them in the conference finals. Edmonton is a very tough out. Dallas has played them in the first round for years and it's always tough. But Dallas always gets through them and the Wings will, too.

Feel better?

3. I gotta agree with Fo Shizzle...

Edmonton squeaks into the playoffs in 8th just about every year it seems, and they always give the 1st seed a run for their money. That's just the type of team they are. If history serves correct, the Wings will win in seven and then get knocked out in the second round because they're so beat up from playing the Oilers.

As for the biggest choking team in the last number of years, I'm quite sure that falls squarely on my Ottawa Senators.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Some fans are never happy, no matter how often their team wins it all.

-Mike

5. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Ottawa has been good, but nowhere near some of the teams Detroit has had over the past decade.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Detroit's main problem in the playoffs has been the same for years. Their opponents are allowed to obstruct to their little hearts content.

7. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    All i know is...

Sharks > Wings.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That would be any team from Philly...I woulda said the Bosox but they won a couple years back.

3 Cups in 12 years...and you want 6-7?!
    Greedy bastich you are.
    Hockey is very weird come playoff time...I've seen it firsthand-
    The team that claws it's way into the playoffs usually creates havoc for the prima donna Top seed that has been on auto-pilot for a month up to the playoff series.
    When we had an ECHL team here...every year we would be at the top during the regular season...granted we won a couple of Cups, though, more often than not, we got bounced by a team that we beat easily during the season.
    Then one year, we barely made the playoffs...I mean it went down to the last minute of the last game; we were the 16th seed. Lond story short, we won the Cup that year, knocking out every Top seed along the way.
    That team scratched its way to a title because they were playing win or die hockey for about a month before the playoffs began; those poor top seeded teams had no idea what hit them until they were pretty much down 3-1 in each of those series.

9. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Canadiens just scored in double OT against Carolina. Wow.

BB, I was at the Wings game Sunday and they didn't look good especially in the second period. I think the goaltending is still an issue, and how many teams have won the cup without an elite netminder? Osgood did back in 97, but he had a dream team in front of him. Sorry, I don't see the Wings going all the way this year.

10. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I would say the biggest chokers in all of (American) sports for the past ten years are:

Philidelphia Eagles
    Indianapolis Colts
    2002 San Francisco Giants' relief pitching in Game 6 of the WS (ok. that one's just personal to me...)

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Go A's

:D

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Thanks to this years Super Bowl win, the Steelers will be getting no votes. :D

I'd maybe add the Dallas Mavericks to that list. They seem to play well, and win a lot in the regular season. After that, it's Chokesville.

-Mike

13. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Oh. Good call on the Mavs. Throw the Warriors in there too. Though their choking usually kicks in with a month left in the regular season. Dashing any and all hopes of seeing Oakland have a playoff game outside of the AL Division Series.

14. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    LA kings

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Don't tarnish this 'hockey' thread with the NBA!

16. Unfortunately for the rest of the league, the team that peaked in the last few games of the regular season this year is New Jersey. They went from 6th place in the conference to 3rd, and after dominating NYR the last couple games they've won 13 straight.

They're also the only team in the East with the all important goalie that PolkaHero alluded to. They're going to be tough to beat for at least the first two rounds.

17. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Ha!

I called this. The NHL really is a joke. The Red Wings inability to get past insignificiant 8th place teams in the first round is a common embarassment.

Oh well, at least we have the Pistons.

18. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    How the hell is NHL a joke? Your team chocked and NHL is to blame? :rolleyes:

You should get used to it... they chocked to sharks they chock now... in your face...