1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Regarding Warwick's "broadneck" option.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Khazandar, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Khazandar

Khazandar

Sep 2, 2014
    Oy lads. I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on Warwicks broadneck profile on a five string, and if possible, compared to a normal five string. I'm curious, as I'm in the position to buy a broadneck fiver :D

2. All I can say is that Warwick's "regular" neck accommodates 17mm string spacing. The Broadneck accommodates 20mm spacing....wide enough to land a plane on...

TolerancEJ and Khazandar like this.
  3. I previously owned a Thumb BO 5 broad neck. My brother has a Thumb BO 5 with a standard neck. The gulf between the two is massive.

The broad neck has a huge amount of wood in it. It's got a huge, flat fretboard and very wide 'shoulders' on the neck that fall into a 'D' profile. At the time, I was playing a lot and over short sessions it wasn't a problem but over longer sessions it could really fatigue the left hand. It felt like a lot of work in the first few positions.

By contrast, the neck on my brother's Thumb is far slicker and smaller. The BO is an answer to a question no-one was asking and I wonder who actually ordered them and what their reasons were. I get the like for a wider string spacing but Warwick really should have at least shaved the neck down. I recall that it was actually just the standard 6 string neck, fitted for five strings.

4. Khazandar

Khazandar

Sep 2, 2014
    Interesting! That's given me a lot to think about. :3

5. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    Nut width sizes from Warwick's website

38,50 mm Standard 4-string
    44,00 mm Broad Neck 4-string

45,00 mm Standard 5-string
    47,00 mm Broad Neck 5-string

52,00 mm Standard 6-string
    55,00 mm Broad Neck 6-string

Khazandar and TolerancEJ like this.
  6. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    My Streamer Stage 1 5'er is 20mm and it is a very noticeable difference going to/from that. I'd agree with the D profile.

I like it but you kind of need to stick with it for a while.

Woodchuck and Khazandar like this.
  7. Khazandar

Khazandar

Sep 2, 2014
    That is certainly the plan. Another question, a bit different. The 3 band preamp that usually comes in the high-end W's. Is that system compatible with passive pickups or?

8. IIRC the MEC pickups are passive running through an active circuit. There are a wealth of aftermarket choices available that are a straight fit, like Barts.

9. You might have to tap and move the threaded inserts a little bit for the bartolini stuff. Good thing tho is that you don't have to route the cavity to fit the pickups

10. warwick07

warwick07 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2008
    I've got an 89-90 Streamer BN 5 that I bought last year. I thought hey, how much of a difference could it be? Turns out a lot. The neck profile is slim and really comfortable due to the early years, but the spacing is way too much for me to get used to. I love the action and response that it has, but I still can't get comfortable with it. Don't get me wrong, the bass sounds great, but spacing huge. It's a 5 string with a 4 string spacing.

11. Got to try one at guitar center years ago. It had its ups and downs. Some right hand things were easier to do, other things were more difficult. All 5 of the warwicks ive purchased have the standard necks. I think if I could find a great deal on a broadneck I'd have it setup a forth down so bead for a 4, F#bead(g) for 5 and 6. I've use bead on 4 strings and low f# strings in the past and it kind of felt cramped because the strings are thicker so it makes it feel like you're playing with a slightly tighter string spacing. And I typically play downtuned basses in more of a meat and potatoes type of style where with normal standard tunings I play all the fixins.