Reggae Basslines

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rarbass, Jul 7, 2008.

1. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    I'm looking into studying some reggae basslines, possibly creating some of my own. Is there anywhere I could look to find some very good reggae basslines? I've been told Bob Marley, but even there I'm not sure where to look. Any advice would be most appreciated.

2. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Aston "Family Man" Barrett was the bass player for the Wailers (Marley's band). Pretty much all of the Wailers' music has great basslines, but my personal favorite is Catch a Fire - most of the tunes on that are carried by the bassline. I would avoid Legend.

Find anything you can with Family Man or Robert Shakespeare (the Robbie in Sly and Robbie). You can't go wrong with these guys.

If you want something more modern, Bill Laswell has done a ton of music with a reggae/dub slant and great bass playing.

3. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    Any other specific songs with Family Man or any at all by Robert Shakespeare? I'm having difficulty finding any.

4. Jamarcla

Jamarcla

Nov 17, 2007
  5. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    Thanks a lot to both of you!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021